MemoQ 2015: How can I create a new TM from a bilingual document?
Thread poster: psicutrinius
psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:54
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2017

Hi all,

Please excuse me, in the first place, if the topic has been covered before. If so, I have been unable to find it (therefore, if this is the case, I would be very grateful if somebody points me in the correct direction).

The point is that I am about to finish a big project on a specific field (namely, tracked excavators), for which I have been using quite a number of TMs for other, earlier projects for the same client and for wheeled excavators; other projects in
... See more
Hi all,

Please excuse me, in the first place, if the topic has been covered before. If so, I have been unable to find it (therefore, if this is the case, I would be very grateful if somebody points me in the correct direction).

The point is that I am about to finish a big project on a specific field (namely, tracked excavators), for which I have been using quite a number of TMs for other, earlier projects for the same client and for wheeled excavators; other projects in this very same field are about to arrive and I would prefer to set up a new TM for this new (tracked vehicles) subject matter which I would then expand with the oncoming projects.

Therefore (after completing this project, and once I have a fully spellchecked and QAed bilingual, I would like to create a new TM that (initially) contains ONLY this project.

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clarification Jan 11, 2017

Hi there!

Do you mean that you are finishing the final good bilingual file inside of memoQ? If that is the case, you can simply create a new memory, disable other memories, select all segments in your file and Confirm. That will populate the new memory with the final contents of your bilingual file.

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow... Jan 11, 2017

Hi, Tomás

Thanks for the supersonic speed in answering in the first place. Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I am finishing a project in memoQ, for which I am using quite a number of TMs and wish to create a new TM specific for the subject. therefore you have hit the nail in the head (although there are a number of files there, rather than one; in fact, it is a .pdf for which I have received a number of sdlxliff PARTIAL files; Understand that Best way is to begin exporting the firs
... See more
Hi, Tomás

Thanks for the supersonic speed in answering in the first place. Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I am finishing a project in memoQ, for which I am using quite a number of TMs and wish to create a new TM specific for the subject. therefore you have hit the nail in the head (although there are a number of files there, rather than one; in fact, it is a .pdf for which I have received a number of sdlxliff PARTIAL files; Understand that Best way is to begin exporting the first one as a bilingual rtf and do as you say and then doing the same with the remaining files, one by one, into the same (new) TM?.

Going to finish the project right now. Will report on results.

Gracias mil, Tomás.

Marcel
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Even faster with a View Jan 11, 2017

In memoQ, you can also create a view with all the finished files, then go to the Views tab and open your file, that is now glued-together. With a new TM created, and after unticking the rest, select all segments and confirm. That should do it!

(Yo do not even need to export or anything: create a new memory, select all segments in memoQ, click Confirm or use your usual shortcut for confirming. If after that you do to the TM, select it and click Properties, you should see that the TM
... See more
In memoQ, you can also create a view with all the finished files, then go to the Views tab and open your file, that is now glued-together. With a new TM created, and after unticking the rest, select all segments and confirm. That should do it!

(Yo do not even need to export or anything: create a new memory, select all segments in memoQ, click Confirm or use your usual shortcut for confirming. If after that you do to the TM, select it and click Properties, you should see that the TM is now populated with your segments. You can also choose Edit and have a look if you wish!)

Take care, Marcel!
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
English
+ ...
Another method - LIveDocs Jan 11, 2017

Hi -
There is another way to accomplish the same thing, and in some cases it may be preferable.
Open the bilingual file in LiveDocs. This gives you two options:
1. Create a new TM as suggested earlier in this thread. Then select the document and execute "Export to TM...".
2. You can also use the LIveDocs with or without your existing TM, and you will know what comes from TM and what comes from LiveDocs by observing the icon in the Translations pane.

This ni
... See more
Hi -
There is another way to accomplish the same thing, and in some cases it may be preferable.
Open the bilingual file in LiveDocs. This gives you two options:
1. Create a new TM as suggested earlier in this thread. Then select the document and execute "Export to TM...".
2. You can also use the LIveDocs with or without your existing TM, and you will know what comes from TM and what comes from LiveDocs by observing the icon in the Translations pane.

This nice thing about option 2 is that you don't mess up your existing TM, and you can easily jump to the original document by right clicking on the icon and selecing "Show document". I use this all the time, and that last feature is a big plus. When the translation doesn't make sense, I check the document and can see the entire context. You can't do that with TM.

Cheers!
George
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 2015: How can I create a new TM from a bilingual document?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »