Weird problem: find&replace command sometimes functions, sometimes not.
Thread poster: Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:14
German to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2017

I use memoQ 2015 and I face this weird problem:

When I try to find and replace some words, sometimes not all indicated words are found. This happens in various settings (whole word, match case etc.) and in various files.

Sometimes I type the word into the find box, and sometimes I copy and paste it. It doesn't matter.

Sometimes no words are found at all (but they are there of course), and sometimes few of them are found and replaced while the rest remains
... See more
I use memoQ 2015 and I face this weird problem:

When I try to find and replace some words, sometimes not all indicated words are found. This happens in various settings (whole word, match case etc.) and in various files.

Sometimes I type the word into the find box, and sometimes I copy and paste it. It doesn't matter.

Sometimes no words are found at all (but they are there of course), and sometimes few of them are found and replaced while the rest remains as is.

This comes in all funny variations: let's say, in the text there are "methyl" and "ethyl". I cannot find "ethyl" while I find "methyl" (whole word option not selected).

Does anyone have the same problem?
Collapse

Buddhika Edirisinghe

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
The same here Jan 16, 2017

and it does not matter if I try to find (either with or without replace) words in source or target text.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My final attempt Jan 16, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

and it does not matter if I try to find (either with or without replace) words in source or target text.

Yes, I have tried that, too.

I have one final idea. I am not a computer geek and I don't know whether or not it will work.

Before preparing a new project, I will open my source file in word, select all the text, change the font and then change it back. This may help as it works in powerpoint files with strange tags.

However, I have no way of telling whether it actually works because this problem is not a regular, persistent problem. It happens occasionally.

Frank Lambeets
Frank Lambeets  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:14
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Move the cursor to the beginning Jan 16, 2017

Before launching the search, did you make sure to move your cursor to the beginning of your document? And also, make sure the check-case for searching in target or source is correctly set.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Francis Lambeet Jan 16, 2017

Thank you! I have tried them all, no success.

Besides, not even a single word just in front of me is changed.

Today I have submitted a support ticket to Kilgray as this function saves me at least one day while working on a specific type of documents and I have one such file of 25,000 words waiting for me.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
I hope Jan 16, 2017

Elif Baykara wrote:

Thank you! I have tried them all, no success.

Besides, not even a single word just in front of me is changed.

Today I have submitted a support ticket to Kilgray as this function saves me at least one day while working on a specific type of documents and I have one such file of 25,000 words waiting for me.

you have marked the ticket as "critical" as they are not famous for swift replying.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did mark it as urgent. Jan 16, 2017

Yes, Maija

After all, it is an urgent matter to me. I hope to hear from them soon.

I'll keep you updated.

Elif

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Thanks a million in advance Jan 16, 2017

Elif Baykara wrote:

Yes, Maija

I'll keep you updated.

Elif

as sometimes the problem is quite annoying

dmengani
dmengani
Italy
English to Italian
Problem with memoQ Find function Sep 26, 2022

I have been experiencing the same problem - definitely annoying - and found no solution yet

Roland Grefer
Roland Grefer
Local time: 12:14
German to English
+ ...
Did you ever find out what was causing this behavior and what steps help to remedy it? Oct 4, 2023

Elif Baykara Narbay wrote:

Yes, Maija

I'll keep you updated.

Elif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird problem: find&replace command sometimes functions, sometimes not.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »