Best processors: Does MemoQ want more cores or fewer stronger cores?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2021

Shopping for a laptop, curious if I want fewer stronger cores or more cores? Thx.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cores not that relevant - Memory very relevant Jun 9, 2021

Personally I would go for more memory (16 GB being adequate). The reason is that memoQ is not really that computing intensive, but makes intensive use of databases, other software (for instante, MS Word for spellchecking if you choose that route), etc. It is far more important to have a bigger memory and, if you can, fast drives.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still Jun 9, 2021

4-core i7? Or 8-core AMD Ryzen?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not that important Jun 9, 2021

They are comparable CPUs. Just choose the one to your liking! As long as Windows runs on them, memoQ will run too!

If you are on a budget, I think it is better to go for memory and fast disks than for a bigger processor, if the computer's main use is translation.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core Jun 9, 2021

My installation: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core with 2x 1 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM
64 bits

Maybe I put in some extra RAM later on.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Fewer but faster cores is always better Jun 9, 2021

Regardless of software you use (with very few exceptions), if you have to choose between two CPUs with the same benchmark score (e.g. CPUmark), it's best to choose as few cores as possible. The explanation is simple: one core can run multiple threads with fairly little context switching overhead, whereas one thread cannot be split between multiple cores.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ended up opting for a Galaxy Book Pro 360 with max options Jun 19, 2021

Easier to just trust in a Sammy flagship with a $215 coupon and the promise of a free return policy

I'll update you all on how that pans out, although I'll be genuinely shocked if it doesn't go well

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jun 24, 2021

Yeah, buttery smooth.

Annoying keyboard, though. Whoever got the genius idea to shrink the arrows, Enter, and Backspace to accommodate a cramped numpad (with the obnoxious Ins key right next to the miniature right arrow no less) deserves a special place in hell.

[Edited at 2021-06-24 17:01 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Laptop/tablet keyboards are not for continuous work Jun 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:
Annoying keyboard, though.

Laptops and the like are clearly not for continuous work. I strongly suggest you get a foldable Bluetooth keyboard you can carry in a briefcase/backpack.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Foldable bluetooth? Jun 24, 2021

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Laptops and the like are clearly not for continuous work. I strongly suggest you get a foldable Bluetooth keyboard you can carry in a briefcase/backpack.

Now that sure doesn't sound like a continuous work solution.

I've worked on good laptop keyboards on huge CAT projects for months, no problem. If it's a bunch of straight up typing, then I'd run a Natural Keyboard. Simply because I wore out and destroyed like 5 of them in the pre-CAT days.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then... an ergonomic keyboard that is compact enough Jun 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
Adieu wrote:

Now that sure doesn't sound like a continuous work solution.

I usually take my wireless Microsoft Sculpt in the briefcase. It is the keyword I use constantly and (without the separate numeric keyboard) it is small enough for almost everywhere.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomic keyboards Jun 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:
...I'd run a Natural Keyboard. Simply because I wore out and destroyed like 5 of them in the pre-CAT days.

I know what you mean. I wore out one Natural Keyboard for some 4 years, after which I switched to a Logitech model that lasted nearly 10 years but was discontinued with a Spanish layout, so I could not buy a new one. I had to switch to something, so it was the Microsoft Sculpt, of which I am now in my 5th unit (the first production runs were not that solid unfortunately). We all in the office translate daily with the Sculpts for some 7-8 years now.

[Edited at 2021-06-24 18:22 GMT]

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:12
English to Russian
+ ...
I know it is too late, but I received an answer from the Killgray Jul 11, 2022

Here is Killgray's answer at the question: What is best for MemoQ? Higher CPU frequency or Higher number of CPU cores?

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting memoQ support.

All else being equal, it's better for memoQ's performance to have faster single core output.
Kind regards/Üdvözlettel:

Szabolcs Iszály
Support Engineer

memoQ Translation Technologies

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 16:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Huge segments going in jelly mode Jul 11, 2022

When they are really huge. That thing was annoying, but aside from long loading times, it was the only speed-related problem I encountered on my pretty slow old PC and on my work PC (and the problem would be gone each time a huge segment was hidden from the screen). Zero such problems on my i7 + 16 GB. I also used mQ on insanely big documents which made Trados die in seconds

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jul 11, 2022

On page-long segments, memoQ slows down even on the 11th gen i7 2021 Galaxy Book 360

Otoh, it worked perfectly on a job with like 170k words and nearly 30k segments.

Denis Fesik wrote:

When they are really huge. That thing was annoying, but aside from long loading times, it was the only speed-related problem I encountered on my pretty slow old PC and on my work PC (and the problem would be gone each time a huge segment was hidden from the screen). Zero such problems on my i7 + 16 GB. I also used mQ on insanely big documents which made Trados die in seconds

[Edited at 2022-07-11 20:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best processors: Does MemoQ want more cores or fewer stronger cores?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »