Can memoQ – if provided through client servers – run on multiple devices?
Thread poster: Esther Pugh
Esther Pugh
Esther Pugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2022

I have worked with memoQ for 5+ years now. Multiple clients provide access through their client server(s). So far, I have used one and the same computer to run the application, with multiple logins to multiple client servers. Always worked just fine.

My computer – unfortunately – will soon be reaching the stage where it needs to be replaced. I have another computer where I downloaded the application, tried to logon to my client servers (with their granted licenses & credentials
... See more
I have worked with memoQ for 5+ years now. Multiple clients provide access through their client server(s). So far, I have used one and the same computer to run the application, with multiple logins to multiple client servers. Always worked just fine.

My computer – unfortunately – will soon be reaching the stage where it needs to be replaced. I have another computer where I downloaded the application, tried to logon to my client servers (with their granted licenses & credentials), but it won't work. There is always an error message. Now I am getting nervous. What if my old computer dies? How can I activate access through another PC? I have tried everything. Return the license on my old computer, delete the app, download the app on the new computer, run the activation wizard, the whole nine yards. It literally only works on my old computer.

Why is this, and how can this be fixed? Any ideas?

I understand that memoQ might only be able to run on one machine if you have a client license, but how do I change it over to another computer?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Contact the client(s) Jun 10, 2022

In my experience, the better agencies are generally willing and able to provide limited technical support or at least advice to their translators when it comes to required tools.

I had a client whose server would only communicate with my backup computer without having to make some sort of registry adjustment to my normal computer (the instructions for which the client sent me). Since I didn't want to take the chance of disrupting access to other clients' servers, and since this cli
... See more
In my experience, the better agencies are generally willing and able to provide limited technical support or at least advice to their translators when it comes to required tools.

I had a client whose server would only communicate with my backup computer without having to make some sort of registry adjustment to my normal computer (the instructions for which the client sent me). Since I didn't want to take the chance of disrupting access to other clients' servers, and since this client sent me work several times/week, I put up with the inconvenience of working on my old computer. The client may be aware of this connectivity issue and may be able to suggest a workaround (probably a modification to a setting in MemoQ, or in my case, a change to the registry). I don't think your problem has to do with your license, but I may be wrong.

[Edited at 2022-06-10 19:07 GMT]
Collapse

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kevin!! Jun 10, 2022

Thank you.

I decided to contact the memoQ support, as not many people seem to have this problem, and all I got was:
“Thank you for contacting us!
The mobile ELM or CAL license works only on one device, this is the expected behavior.”

Umm, ok, and how can I resolve this now? I followed up, let’s see what they say. Glad it’s not THAT urgent. I mean, does this affect ALL licenses, or just one? Or the application per se, as a whole?

I hope
... See more
Thank you.

I decided to contact the memoQ support, as not many people seem to have this problem, and all I got was:
“Thank you for contacting us!
The mobile ELM or CAL license works only on one device, this is the expected behavior.”

Umm, ok, and how can I resolve this now? I followed up, let’s see what they say. Glad it’s not THAT urgent. I mean, does this affect ALL licenses, or just one? Or the application per se, as a whole?

I hope my laptop never dies….. haha
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:39
English to Russian
ELM or CAL licenses Jun 11, 2022

Esther Pugh wrote:
The mobile ELM or CAL license works only on one device
They mean one device at a time, but not the only one specific device that you can never change. Try this: https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010376619-CAL-and-ELM-licensing

There is always an error message.
What does the error message read?

[Edited at 2022-06-11 00:41 GMT]

Adieu

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error messages Jun 11, 2022

Error messages read (for ELM) "No license received from the server" "Failed to update ELM licenses from XXXX.com (client server address)"
For CAL: The server has been successfully contacted, but it currently has no license for you.

No help from memoQ either.

[Edited at 2022-06-11 19:58 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ask your client too Jun 11, 2022

Esther Pugh wrote:
No help from memoQ either.
And what about your client? Probably Kilgray just misunderstood your question. They reply to a different question: can memoQ work with the same licenses on two devices simultaneously. But your question is how to migrate between two computers. Try again by re-phrasing your question to make it clear for them that you do exactly what they describe at the above-mentioned memoQ page. The behavior you describe is definitely not ok. Apart from inquiring Kilgray again, also try to ask the same question to your client. Probably, they can release (reset/withdraw/whatever you may call it), your license on their side.

Kevin Fulton

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Stepan Jun 11, 2022

I am pretty sure they didn’t misunderstand me, and if they did – like I said –, I explained the whole thing in a follow-up e-mail quite thoroughly a second time. Never heard back. I can’t possibly be the only memoQ user working through client servers whose computer needs to be replaced?

Regarding the clients and asking them (and this affects all my memoQ clients/client licenses btw, not just one, and I really hate to bother them) –––>> I did ask one of them and he told
... See more
I am pretty sure they didn’t misunderstand me, and if they did – like I said –, I explained the whole thing in a follow-up e-mail quite thoroughly a second time. Never heard back. I can’t possibly be the only memoQ user working through client servers whose computer needs to be replaced?

Regarding the clients and asking them (and this affects all my memoQ clients/client licenses btw, not just one, and I really hate to bother them) –––>> I did ask one of them and he told me that it did sound like a possible issue with a "serial number".
He also told me to contact memoQ support, as they don’t think there is anything they can do from a server point of view. So that’s what I did. Contact memoQ support. Yet, here I am ……
memoQ support obviously does not care. It's really strange that apparently, if you're given a license, it only runs on one machine. I do understand that you can't translate one and the same job on multiple computers simultaneously with one license, but you should be able to activate a license, once given a job, on the computer of your choice if you have more than one device, which most of us do, I am sure.

[Edited at 2022-06-11 23:58 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Serial number Jun 12, 2022

Ok, then resetting your serial number is the last resort, I believe. Ask Kilgray to reset your serial number. Before you can use CAL or ELM licenses with memoQ, you have to activate memoQ using a serial number (even though they use these two terms interchangeably, serial number and CAL/ELM licenses are not the same thing). The... See more
Ok, then resetting your serial number is the last resort, I believe. Ask Kilgray to reset your serial number. Before you can use CAL or ELM licenses with memoQ, you have to activate memoQ using a serial number (even though they use these two terms interchangeably, serial number and CAL/ELM licenses are not the same thing). There are two ways to do that:
1. Add 2 at the end of your serial number when insatllaing memoQ on a second computer.
In this case both copies of your serial number will remain valid.*
2. Ask memoQ support to reset your serial number. They will deactivate your current serial number and send you a new one. Once you have that new serial number received, you will be able to activate it on a second computer. Most probably (I can't guarantee though) the old one will still remain valid too but definitely not re-activatable.
In this case you get a serial number that you can activate on two computers using suffix 1 or 2 at the end. And now when your memoQ is activated on your new computer with the new serial number, you will be able to use CAL/ELM licenses.
To summarize the foregoing: ask memoQ support to reset your serial number and use the new serial number on your new computer.

*If you are going to dump your old computer, then option 1 is not your best choice because memoQ remains activated in this case.

[Edited at 2022-06-12 01:17 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
My bad Jun 12, 2022

Ah, you don't have a serial number, do you. My mistake. You always use your clients' credentials, right? Er... I am not sure then... Probably you have some trial serial number or something like that? Just ask them to reset your s/n and see what they do.

Esther Pugh

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You can definitely migrate a CAL license Jul 5, 2022

I did it when changing laptops last year. Don't remember what exactly I did, but it worked.

IIRC, it involved downloading the MemoQ demo, logging into the same memoQ demo license, and reentering client server login and password details.

Esther Pugh

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can memoQ – if provided through client servers – run on multiple devices?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »