Trados-style 100% (unambiguous) match auto-confirmation possible?
Thread poster: Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 00:19
German to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2022

Hi Folks,

Something that's always bothered me is the difference here between memoQ and Trados, at least as far as my expertise goes.

The situation occurs when you are working through a translation and get unambiguous (= single) 100% matches on a segment. In Trados, these can be auto-confirmed and, what's more, Trados will keep doing this for any other relevant segments. It makes things much faster when you have a lot of segments that only differ because of a single tag,
... See more
Hi Folks,

Something that's always bothered me is the difference here between memoQ and Trados, at least as far as my expertise goes.

The situation occurs when you are working through a translation and get unambiguous (= single) 100% matches on a segment. In Trados, these can be auto-confirmed and, what's more, Trados will keep doing this for any other relevant segments. It makes things much faster when you have a lot of segments that only differ because of a single tag, for example.

However, I cannot make memoQ do this, even though there is a setting where it says, under Automatic lookup and insertion: "Keep processing segments until one meets Goto next conditions". This is a bit pointless, however, because memoQ does not auto-confirm the 100% match. So even if you have set up your Go to... settings right, they will just be ignored because the segment cannot be confirmed, so memoQ will stay there, waiting for you to confirm it. If you 500 segments where the only difference is one tag, you will have to instead stop, go back to pre-translate and do it all there rather than simply getting it done while you are working.

AFAIK this has always been the case and I have always been surprised when switching to Trados (usually only to deliver an assignment) that Studio will zip through these segments rapidly, since it knows -- and I know -- that an unambiguous 100% match is perfectly OK for my text.

Any ideas/comments?

Thx,

Ed
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:19
English to Russian
There seems to be no solution for that Jun 20, 2022

I had a several-day convo with memoQ support team on this question. At the end of the day, I gave up. There is no way other than run a pre-translate task. Whatever they suggested, it never worked as designed (or it was designed not to work). I could never achieve the 'translate-to-fuzzy' behavior.

[Edited at 2022-06-20 23:37 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:19
English to Russian
Video Jun 20, 2022

In their terms, processing only means lookup and inserting a segment but not confirmation.
They sent me a video (that actually was of no help).

When I asked why memoQ didn't confirm segments automatically, they replied as follows in message 2 below:

T
... See more
In their terms, processing only means lookup and inserting a segment but not confirmation.
They sent me a video (that actually was of no help).

When I asked why memoQ didn't confirm segments automatically, they replied as follows in message 2 below:

Thank you for contacting us.
Here is the relevant guide:
- https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/automatic-lookup-and-insertion.html?highlight="Automatically%20proceed%20to%20process%20further%20segments,%20until%20a%20segment%20meets%20Goto%20next%20conditions"
To make it simple, please open the Goto next settings (Ctrl+Shift+G by default), then check only the Not started status. Please make sure that the Automatic jump after confirmation is disabled.

Regarding the pre-translated status: it is the default behavior. In order to have fewer clicks, you can use the pre-translate function to fill in 100%/101% segments and confirm it at the same time, or if the segments are already in pre-translated status, you can use the confirm&update function to confirm only 100%/101% pre-translated segments.

[Edited at 2022-06-20 20:13 GMT]
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 00:19
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 21, 2022

Hi Stepan,

That's a fantastic and detailed reply :=)

Even if this functionality is, as I suspected, not available in memoQ. The key problem is, as you have identified, the fact that "continue processing" makes no sense if memoQ doesn't actually do anything, since it will obviously stop on the very first segment that it refuses to confirm. This is exactly the situation I had yesterday and in the end had to switch to Trados to get any work done.

Another area
... See more
Hi Stepan,

That's a fantastic and detailed reply :=)

Even if this functionality is, as I suspected, not available in memoQ. The key problem is, as you have identified, the fact that "continue processing" makes no sense if memoQ doesn't actually do anything, since it will obviously stop on the very first segment that it refuses to confirm. This is exactly the situation I had yesterday and in the end had to switch to Trados to get any work done.

Another area where the memoQ team seems to be lacking in basic logic is this:

"In order to have fewer clicks, you can use the pre-translate function to fill in 100%/101% segments and confirm it at the same time, or if the segments are already in pre-translated status, you can use the confirm&update function to confirm only 100%/101% pre-translated segments."

Pre-translation is exactly what we do not want to do. On-the-fly translaton is what we want, and that is what Trados offers, effectively turning single 100% matches into 101% matches interactively. For those of working on highly repetitive texts like manuals, software, etc., this is a godsend.

Consider this translation here:

Screenshot-45

Why do I need to keep confirming these "pre-translated, unambiguous" (i.e. single 100%) matches? MemoQ should confirm this match and "continue processing", as it says. That is exactly what Trados does (and it will ask you first, if you want).

Thanks once again,

Ed
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Grigori Gazarian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados-style 100% (unambiguous) match auto-confirmation possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »