How do I export a file in MemoQ for opening it for translation in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:12
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2023

I have checked out an online translation project in MemoQ and now want to export the source file and open it in Trados Studio for translating it there. Can I do that? I have some segments already translated so the optimal would be if I can export as bilingual and then also make use of the existing translations for creating a translation memory, although this is not absolutely necessary.

The RTF file I exported contains five columns, but I only need the source and target columns. I
... See more
I have checked out an online translation project in MemoQ and now want to export the source file and open it in Trados Studio for translating it there. Can I do that? I have some segments already translated so the optimal would be if I can export as bilingual and then also make use of the existing translations for creating a translation memory, although this is not absolutely necessary.

The RTF file I exported contains five columns, but I only need the source and target columns. I can't find any way of deleting the three superfluous columns using MS Word. Is there a way? If so, then I could use this RTF file in Trados Studio, open it there for translation and for creating a Studio TM.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Mar 21, 2023

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I have some segments already translated so the optimal would be if I can export as bilingual...

Right-click the file, select Export > Export Bilingual, and select "MemoQ XLIFF". Oddly, there is no right-click import function. To import the updated file, click the file, then on the ribbon choose Documents > Import > Update from bilingual.

I can't find any way of deleting the three superfluous columns using MS Word.

You have to "split the table" (on the ribbon, select Layout > Merge > Split Table), so that the merged cell at the top is separate from the rest of the table. Then you can select the superfluous columns and delete them.

[Edited at 2023-03-21 06:38 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import/Update from bilingual in MemoQ for creating both a TM and a file for translation? Mar 21, 2023

Thanks Samuel, your method of splitting the table worked fine, I could then delete the superfluous columns. Just one question about how to deal with the segments when creating a local file for translation and a translation memory: How do MemoQ handle the tags in each segment?:

hat sich im Rahmen des E-Learnings[1} [2]{3] [2][1}„Informationssicherheit - Umgang mit sensiblen Informationen“{3] [2] [2]grundlegende Kenntnisse erarbeitet.

har inom ramarna för e-kursen[1}
... See more
Thanks Samuel, your method of splitting the table worked fine, I could then delete the superfluous columns. Just one question about how to deal with the segments when creating a local file for translation and a translation memory: How do MemoQ handle the tags in each segment?:

hat sich im Rahmen des E-Learnings[1} [2]{3] [2][1}„Informationssicherheit - Umgang mit sensiblen Informationen“{3] [2] [2]grundlegende Kenntnisse erarbeitet.

har inom ramarna för e-kursen[1} [2]{3] [2][1}”Informationssäkerhet – hantering av känslig information”{3] [2] [2]förvärvat grundläggande kunskaper.

I exported the bilingual MXLIFF file from MemoQ according to your instructions. Is it possible for me now, following your instructions, to import this file into the online MemoQ project? Or to a local MemoQ project of mine where I can create my own local translation memory of it as well as a file for translation in my own local MemoQ project?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Mar 21, 2023

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
How do MemoQ handle the tags in each segment?

Could you be more specific? What do you mean?

In the RTF file, the tags are in a special style called mqInternal, but you don't have to have them in that style in order to import the file. I usually just change them to Default Paragraph Font style. When you import the file, there is a checkbox where you select whether tags should be in the mqInternal style -- just deselect it, and then MemoQ will treat anything that looks like a tag as a tag, regardless of style.

In fact, if you're going to be translating the RTF file's column in Trados, it may be easier for you to change the style of the tags to just Default Paragraph Font, otherwise you're going to create a lot of formatting tags in Trados, which adds complexity for no reason.

But instead of translating the RTF file's column in Trados, why not just translate the MQXLIFF file in Trados directly?

I exported the bilingual MXLIFF file from MemoQ...

It's an MQXLIFF file, not an MXLIFF file. MXLIFF is MemSource.

Is it possible for me now, following your instructions, to import this file into the online MemoQ project? Or to a local MemoQ project of mine where I can create my own local translation memory of it as well as a file for translation in my own local MemoQ project?

You can only import a file into a certain project that you have previously exported from that same project. You can't export from one project and import into another project. Here, "import" doesn't mean that you add the file as a translatable file, but that you harvest the translations from the file and put the translations into the appropriate segments within the project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I export a file in MemoQ for opening it for translation in Trados Studio?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »