Bidding on an internship
Thread poster: Stephen Lang
Stephen Lang
Stephen Lang  Identity Verified
French to English
Oct 5, 2003

I recently made a bid on an internship that was posted on one of the job boards. It was in Paris for a native English speaker, IT experience helpful but not needed. I have the qualifications and made a bid at $2000-$2500 a month. I am guessing they wanted someone to work much cheaper. Does anyone have any insight or experience on this? What would be a typical wage, considering the cost of living in the city?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 15:09
German to English
+ ...
Banking interns a few years back.... Oct 5, 2003

A few years back I used to work for an investment bank in Frankfurt (Germany) and we regularly used to hire interns (students on placements for a semester or two). If memory serves correctly, they generally got between DM 1000 - 1500 per month, with some help finding accomodation (if they were lucky).

For that they got to work all hours of the day and night on projects, doing the boring, tedious, repetitive stuff that nobody else wanted to do, but at the same time they got to exper
... See more
A few years back I used to work for an investment bank in Frankfurt (Germany) and we regularly used to hire interns (students on placements for a semester or two). If memory serves correctly, they generally got between DM 1000 - 1500 per month, with some help finding accomodation (if they were lucky).

For that they got to work all hours of the day and night on projects, doing the boring, tedious, repetitive stuff that nobody else wanted to do, but at the same time they got to experience what life in M&A is all about - hearing the tales told by the "professionals" and having the opportunity to ask LOTS of questions themselves.

So I would guess that your bid is on the high side. Sorry I can't provide you with anything more positive than that!
Collapse

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sounds like your bid was higher than the norm Oct 6, 2003

Hi there
I worked as an intern (stagiaire) in a French company in Lyon a few years ago and was paid FRF 4000 per month plus my accommodation expenses, (a further FRF 2500) That was considered pretty good at the time.

Many translators working in-house in Paris agencies do not earn 2000 euros a month, so if you were asking that much as an intern, it's perhaps unsurprising that you were unsuccessful. The whole point of companies asking for an intern is to get someone willing to d
... See more
Hi there
I worked as an intern (stagiaire) in a French company in Lyon a few years ago and was paid FRF 4000 per month plus my accommodation expenses, (a further FRF 2500) That was considered pretty good at the time.

Many translators working in-house in Paris agencies do not earn 2000 euros a month, so if you were asking that much as an intern, it's perhaps unsurprising that you were unsuccessful. The whole point of companies asking for an intern is to get someone willing to do the work for less pay than on a standard contract.

From what I can gather, most student interns in France are paid between 30% and 75% of the French minimum wage (which I believe is around 1200 euros a month) although some companies are more generous, or provide other perks.

I think the average starting salary for an in-house translator in a Paris agency is around 1800-2000 euros per month, so you'd certainly not want to aim any higher than that...

However, it all sounds a bit odd, since to be allowed to work as a "stagiaire" in France you must be a student at a university and have an internship agreement ("convention de stage") provided by your university or school, who often has a prior agreement with the company. Remuneration is often set down in this document, and without it, you cannot work as a stagiaire in France.

HTH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidding on an internship

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »