Off topic: My annual contribution to road safety at this time of year. Horrible to watch but may save lives.
Thread poster: Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:38
English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hope no one minds. Dec 30, 2013

I am commenting to make this visible again, for New Year's Eve.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:38
German to English
+ ...
Always! Dec 31, 2013

Yes, it's probably a messsage that everybody should see, and "this time of year" is really irrelevant - it is applicable at all times.
When you are driving, the first priority is safety (including not compromising safety by consuming alcohol or other drugs), the second priority is to behave within the law, and then come the other considerations such as reaching your destination, driving smoothly and considerately, maintaining a reasonable speed ...
If you are out
... See more
Yes, it's probably a messsage that everybody should see, and "this time of year" is really irrelevant - it is applicable at all times.
When you are driving, the first priority is safety (including not compromising safety by consuming alcohol or other drugs), the second priority is to behave within the law, and then come the other considerations such as reaching your destination, driving smoothly and considerately, maintaining a reasonable speed ...
If you are out with friends who try to make you consume alcoholic drinks when they know you'll be driving, do you really want such people as friends? Or, at least tell them that if they really think you should drink and then drive, they're dangerously misinformed or perhaps even no longer worth having as friends.

Oliver
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Deliberately sober driver" Dec 31, 2013

I agree, Oliver. Not only at this time of year, but always.

In the Netherlands, we have something called a "Bob," a person who is the designated sober driver. I did not know until I googled and read the Wikipedia article that some people think Bob stands for "Bewust onbeschonken bestuurder" (deliberately sober driver), but in fact was just a name picked by the Belgian government, which started the Bob campaign.

I understand that, at least in 2005, 15 countries (Austria
... See more
I agree, Oliver. Not only at this time of year, but always.

In the Netherlands, we have something called a "Bob," a person who is the designated sober driver. I did not know until I googled and read the Wikipedia article that some people think Bob stands for "Bewust onbeschonken bestuurder" (deliberately sober driver), but in fact was just a name picked by the Belgian government, which started the Bob campaign.

I understand that, at least in 2005, 15 countries (Austria, Belgium, France, Poland, Hungary, Malta, Sweden, Italy, Czech Republic, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Spain, United Kingdom, and the Netherlands) participated in a Euro-Bob campaign. I don't know if they still do so.

Googling also led me to this from an article which explains the Bob campaign:

"Initially the slogan was "Bob jij of Bob ik" ("You or I am BOB") [Forgive me. I can't help but revise that translation: I'd say "Are you going to be the Bob or am I?" sh]. The message was that the "BOB" should be chosen before going out. The initiative was promoted through: signs in motorway parking areas; leaflets; key-rings; television advertisements; balloons; pens; clothing; beer mats; billboards and a promotional bus." http://gsri.worldwidebrewingalliance.org/php/initiatives/initiative.php?ini_id=439
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My annual contribution to road safety at this time of year. Horrible to watch but may save lives.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »