Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Aren't we lucky to work from home? ;-)
Thread poster: Dees
Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
German to English
Wait a minute... Jul 23, 2006

... I know that as translators the physical space occupied by our tools and resources seems to shrink year by year (notebooks, wirelss access, CD dicos etc), but aren't the SOHO or (HOBO - home office bed office - Edwal!) translators doing the same with their homes as the corporations with their offices? Squeezing 'productivity' out of limited floor area?
For all that, a typical 45 minute each way drive to work in/near London can easily cost £1000+ per year in petrol so there's a financia
... See more
... I know that as translators the physical space occupied by our tools and resources seems to shrink year by year (notebooks, wirelss access, CD dicos etc), but aren't the SOHO or (HOBO - home office bed office - Edwal!) translators doing the same with their homes as the corporations with their offices? Squeezing 'productivity' out of limited floor area?
For all that, a typical 45 minute each way drive to work in/near London can easily cost £1000+ per year in petrol so there's a financial incentive with a smugness factor if ever there was one.
Ability to choose one's colleagues is a big plus!
Take it easy out there
DB
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 21:57
French to English
+ ...
sorry to swim against the tide but... Jul 23, 2006

... this time last year I was working in an individual quite large office (it could have been bigger but I preferred the location on the quiet side of the building). I totally missed the heatwave of 2003 in Europe because my house was cool, I went to work in my air-conditioned car and spent the day in my air-conditioned office.
Now I work from home and the heat is KILLING ME. My productivity has gone to pot. My Paris flat is great and will located but it is not as cool as my Belgian hou
... See more
... this time last year I was working in an individual quite large office (it could have been bigger but I preferred the location on the quiet side of the building). I totally missed the heatwave of 2003 in Europe because my house was cool, I went to work in my air-conditioned car and spent the day in my air-conditioned office.
Now I work from home and the heat is KILLING ME. My productivity has gone to pot. My Paris flat is great and will located but it is not as cool as my Belgian house.

There is a downside to everything.
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
French to English
+ ...
agree with CMJ_Trans Jul 24, 2006

this heat was killing me too, and making me miss my old air-conditioned office from when I was a wage slave....

... that is, until I escaped to the coast, and now I'm working at my laptop from a friend's seaside flat, enjoying the sea breeze!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:57
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
agreed with all the reasons Dec 14, 2010

that working at home is ideal, except I don't have kids and only smoke once in a blue moon.
Looking outside now where it's freezing and snowing, I am thankful I don't have to wait for the bus or shlep to the metro to get to work.
Also, not having to worry about a work wardrobe
Dealing with other people coughing and sneezing during cold season.
If I'm sick I can turn down projects for a couple of days until I feel better...although you have to finish whatever you're worki
... See more
that working at home is ideal, except I don't have kids and only smoke once in a blue moon.
Looking outside now where it's freezing and snowing, I am thankful I don't have to wait for the bus or shlep to the metro to get to work.
Also, not having to worry about a work wardrobe
Dealing with other people coughing and sneezing during cold season.
If I'm sick I can turn down projects for a couple of days until I feel better...although you have to finish whatever you're working on when you get sick. Last year I caught this terrible stomach flu and was working on, of all things, a menu for a restaurant. Fortunately it was a small job and I was able to get it done when I was able to think about food again....ugh!

BUt I do agree that, aside from colds, it would be nice to work with other people...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aren't we lucky to work from home? ;-)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »