MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2014

MS Word 2007. Ginormous file almost 350 pages long loaded with graphics. Some of the text allows itself to simply be clicked on and translated. Other text seems to be embedded strangely in overlapping, nested and floating images, and is inaccessible. The more I twiddle with settings to try and isolate the part of the graphic image with text in it, and access that text to translate it, the more often the doc crashes. I then have to FTP the whole thing again because I can't seem to reverse the "da... See more
MS Word 2007. Ginormous file almost 350 pages long loaded with graphics. Some of the text allows itself to simply be clicked on and translated. Other text seems to be embedded strangely in overlapping, nested and floating images, and is inaccessible. The more I twiddle with settings to try and isolate the part of the graphic image with text in it, and access that text to translate it, the more often the doc crashes. I then have to FTP the whole thing again because I can't seem to reverse the "damage"! For some of these inaccessible phrases, it would be easier to just float a comment over top with the translation in it. Client is being reasonable but leaving the whole thing up to me. Nothing's working. Any ideas as far as accessing text in MS Word 2007 inserted/placed/embedded images? Urls or tutorials or simply workarounds?

[Edited at 2014-01-02 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:48
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Convert to DOCX, or RTF Jan 2, 2014

Depending on your own version of Word, I would try to save the file as a DOCX document. If that doesn't work you could try to save the file as an RTF document (but it could bloat enormously).

Cheers,
Gerard

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mmmm no.... Jan 2, 2014

Hi, Gerard, thanks, I did try to save as .docx, but this made no difference, and even messed some alignment up. It seems like the original author kind of cobbled things together to produce a certain "look", but the "assembled graphic creations"are not very editable, and placed very carefully, so when you try to change a word, you move a lot of stuff out of alignment. *sigh*

I have used one workaround of simply taking a screenshot of a problematic grouping and "painting" over it "as
... See more
Hi, Gerard, thanks, I did try to save as .docx, but this made no difference, and even messed some alignment up. It seems like the original author kind of cobbled things together to produce a certain "look", but the "assembled graphic creations"are not very editable, and placed very carefully, so when you try to change a word, you move a lot of stuff out of alignment. *sigh*

I have used one workaround of simply taking a screenshot of a problematic grouping and "painting" over it "as if it were one image" and then pasting the translated image over top, which was good enough for government work, but 350 pages of this... o_0

I could try the .rtf conversion, and I will if I become more desperate, but it's crashing enough already....
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Jan 2, 2014

Have you tried using Werecat to extract the text, translate it separately, and then pop it back in? Depends, of course, on whether or not these are text boxes, or actual graphics (I suspect sadly the latter)

You might get better quality if you were able to copy the composite images out into a graphics program — but as you say, with 350 pp, it's a major headache whatever way you do it!

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Werecat? Jan 2, 2014

Finding results pertaining to Wikifur and online fantasy... *scratching head*

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ah! Jan 2, 2014

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html
Thanks - I do not use Wordfast, but it's worth a try perhaps.

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF convert Jan 2, 2014

I actually think that this was a PDF-to-Word convert. Some stuff is even missing from the latter file, and a comparison needs to be done.

After reading what Werecat does, I do not think it will work here. The text is "in" graphics...I am ending up going back to the PDF and snipping sections out and then "painting" text over top of it...*head bang, iterative*

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PDF convert Jan 2, 2014

Ah yes, that would explain a lot, then!

Have you tried using the 'snapshot' facility? Enables you to grab a selection out of the PDF and then copy it as a graphic element — which as you say you can then treat in one of several ways to get the desired end result; but I don't envy you the l-o-n-g task ahead ;-(

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doctored snips won't paste Jan 2, 2014

@Tony, that is what I am doing now. Thx for the advice and sympathy. But I can't always get the "snipped/painted/pasted back in" image or part of one to "stick onto" the top of what's already there...this is a real nightmare. Wish I had never taken this one... ;P

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hard to see what's going on Jan 2, 2014

I can't really quite get my head round what the problem is here; if I were you, assuming the text is wrapped round the existing unstable graphics, I'd create a blank white 'false' graphic and place it where the graphic is meant to be, so the text wraps round it correctly; I'd then delete all the other bits of graphic that are unstable, so you have a stable document with a clean 'hole'. If you then choose under Options 'paste images in front of text' or whatever the equivalent is in your Word, yo... See more
I can't really quite get my head round what the problem is here; if I were you, assuming the text is wrapped round the existing unstable graphics, I'd create a blank white 'false' graphic and place it where the graphic is meant to be, so the text wraps round it correctly; I'd then delete all the other bits of graphic that are unstable, so you have a stable document with a clean 'hole'. If you then choose under Options 'paste images in front of text' or whatever the equivalent is in your Word, you should have a freely-movable graphic you can then place within your 'clean' area, and finally past little Word text boxes over the bits to translate (assuming you haven't already done this step in the graphcis domain).

If I'm talking nonsense, then sorry, it's because I haven't really got my head round the problem situation!
Collapse

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
composite pages with strange settings that bounce things around Jan 2, 2014

Yes, have done the "in front of" trick already, and positioned it. The pages contain composite mixture of text, graphics and "converted format settings" that are laced together in such a way that creating clean space is hard. For this particular page I am on now, I think recreating the whole thing from scratch in English would take less time, to be honest.

I have a low level of skill at Word graphics manipulation, and the client was a bit cagey about what kind of file it was, just s
... See more
Yes, have done the "in front of" trick already, and positioned it. The pages contain composite mixture of text, graphics and "converted format settings" that are laced together in such a way that creating clean space is hard. For this particular page I am on now, I think recreating the whole thing from scratch in English would take less time, to be honest.

I have a low level of skill at Word graphics manipulation, and the client was a bit cagey about what kind of file it was, just said "Word". I wasn't aware it was Word converted from PDF. I'll do my best.

Thanks, everyone - no easy way, in sum.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Microsoft Office Drawing Object Jan 2, 2014

Sounds like it might be a "Microsoft Office Drawing Object". I encountered some of these recently and they are a pain. They had to be "ungrouped" then "regrouped" after translating and messed up the formatting. I think next time I would print it as a PDF then convert the "objects" using a PDF OCR program such as PDF Transformer.

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got that t-shirt... Jan 2, 2014

John - you're right, but the problem is how PDF converted it all to Word arrangements on the page(s). I did read on the Net about grouping/ungrouping, and tried this, but was not able to get the option to "come up" just by clicking in various places on these "groupings", within various of their borders. I explored various settings. I tried to convert the PDF to a couple other formats, but Adobe gave me error messages when I tried to fiddle with the PDF. At this point, I am asking the client how... See more
John - you're right, but the problem is how PDF converted it all to Word arrangements on the page(s). I did read on the Net about grouping/ungrouping, and tried this, but was not able to get the option to "come up" just by clicking in various places on these "groupings", within various of their borders. I explored various settings. I tried to convert the PDF to a couple other formats, but Adobe gave me error messages when I tried to fiddle with the PDF. At this point, I am asking the client how pretty they want it to be...because they need a graphic designer with IT brilliance, I think, to take the translated text and make it resemble the original.Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:48
Japanese to English
+ ...
Do you have Acrobat Pro? Jan 3, 2014

If you have access to the original PDF, have you tried translating it in that format and ignoring Word altogether?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
.docx is your friend Jan 3, 2014

To cover text snippets in graphics by new texts:
(Try it with only a few graphics first.)

Save your doc as Mydoc.docx. Then rename Mydoc.docx to Mydoc.zip.

Create a new folder, named MydocTemp at a convenient location.

Unpack the Mydoc.zip file into MydocTemp. Make sure that the .zip file's internal subfolder structure remains intact.

In MydocTemp you'll find some files & subfolders. One or more of these subfolders will contain all th
... See more
To cover text snippets in graphics by new texts:
(Try it with only a few graphics first.)

Save your doc as Mydoc.docx. Then rename Mydoc.docx to Mydoc.zip.

Create a new folder, named MydocTemp at a convenient location.

Unpack the Mydoc.zip file into MydocTemp. Make sure that the .zip file's internal subfolder structure remains intact.

In MydocTemp you'll find some files & subfolders. One or more of these subfolders will contain all the graphics as separate image files. That is the fundamental trick.

Now edit all the image files one by one: Use a simple graphics software (e. g. IrfanView) that is able to put text snippets onto the images BUT doesn't change size & resolution etc. Insert translated snippets (overlays) as appropriate.

Replace the old images in Mydoc.zip by the new ones. Make sure that all other parts of Mydoc.zip are unchanged.

Rename Mydoc.zip to Mydoc.docx. Open Mydoc.docx in Word and be happy. Or curse me for giving stupid advices.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word 2007 text located in nested, floating graphics

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »