Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you use your mobile phone to check your emails?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:16
Portuguese to English
Well, of course... Aug 1, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

lexical wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Ok, but please see the many videos of popcorn made with the cellphones in Youtube. Look for "cellphone pop corn".

Whose judgement would you trust most - YouTube or the World Health Organisation's scientific panel?

If the matter at hand is my long-term health.... I trust Youtube more. It will be fun to see what the WHO experts have to say about cellphones in 30 years time.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 11:59]

If one's brain were made of popcorn, that attitude could make some sense...

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Undesirable feature for me Aug 1, 2008

When I bought my cell phone, the sale clerk asked "What do you want your phone to be able to do?" He seemed astonished when I said "I want it to be able to make phone calls." The fact that I specifically wanted a phone without a camera eliminated most of the available models, which made the selection process much easier.

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
No - and I don't intend to Aug 1, 2008

When I first bought a mobile I asked for a model that would allow me to read emails, but I never used it. It then bought another similar model with a larger screen and still didn't use it. I'm not a keen mobile user. I use a card system, so that I don't feel tied down by it and I'm pretty sure that my overall yearly consumption is very low.

I have it mainly to be reachable, by my family and by my customers.

I use the SMS feature a good deal (cheap way of saying the esse
... See more
When I first bought a mobile I asked for a model that would allow me to read emails, but I never used it. It then bought another similar model with a larger screen and still didn't use it. I'm not a keen mobile user. I use a card system, so that I don't feel tied down by it and I'm pretty sure that my overall yearly consumption is very low.

I have it mainly to be reachable, by my family and by my customers.

I use the SMS feature a good deal (cheap way of saying the essential).
Any job I have ever lost by not being in the office, has always been something I either wouldn't have had time to do or wouldn't have wanted anyway.

I have 2 customers who contact me for press releases by SMS, when they come at times that are out of office hours (agreed upon and charged for). It's always an effort for me to remember to take my mobile with me in these instances. It really isn't a reflex.

I recently informed a customer that I was taking a week's holiday in a place where I couldn't be reached by phone and he didn't believe me. Result: he tried and got absolutely nowhere.
I like places like that!
I'm fed up of everyone thinking we should be tied to our work by some kind of mobile umbilical chord.
I have a life and I intend to keep it!
Working hours are just that - working hours.

It's got to the point where people take their lap top on holidays with them "in case!".
Either you're on holiday or your not!
It's up to you to call the shots as someone said further up.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
YouTube vs. WHO Aug 1, 2008

lexical wrote:

Whose judgement would you trust most - YouTube or the World Health Organisation's scientific panel?

To be honest? Neither.

Amy

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:16
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not now. Aug 1, 2008

I work at home, so clients can find me at home, using the phone or via e-mail.

Anyway, it's a potential useful feature when leaving home. Unfortunately, Mexico is a paradise for usurers. Mobile phone rates are too high.

maybe later.

Who would believe WHO? Aug 1, 2008

lexical wrote:

WHO recommends:
- Individuals: Present scientific information does not indicate the need for any special precautions for use of mobile phones. If individuals are concerned, they might choose to limit their own or their children's' RF exposure by limiting the length of calls, or using "hands-free" devices to keep mobile phones away from the head and body.

Hi lexical,

That's exactly what I am doing --- limiting the use of cellphone.
Besides, why WHO has to make the "disclaimer" statement by adding such precuations.
To me they are admitting that magnetic field so close to the head is harmful.

Buyer beware!!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, the screen size is a big disadvantage Aug 1, 2008

Reed D. James wrote:

I am a big man (the tall, not the heavy kind) and about the only thing I care to manage on a cell phone is making and receiving calls. Entering names and phone numbers with those tiny buttons is tedious enough. And how about the screen size? How can anyone manage to read anything on those tiny screens?

For the time being, I'll be content to use the cell phone as a phone and nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with my eyes, but I really do not like small screens. I had to work on the smallish screen of my laptop for two weeks recently, while I was without a computer, and it really added to the amount of stress in a day.

Anyhow, telephoning is all that my mobile phone does, and I do not know how long it will have that facility again now. As I do not use it very often, a couple of days ago, when my desk telephone broke, I tried to use it to make a call, only to get a strange message that my card had been rejected. I took it to a telephone shop and they explained that I needed a new telephone number for it for some reason - basically because I do not use it often enough. I had to pay EUR 20.00 for the new number, and there is apparently no guarantee, either, that it will still work next time I want to use it. How is that, then, for a reliable e-mail checking service?

Astrid

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
No Aug 1, 2008

I hate cell phones (although they can be very useful) and switch on mine only in very special occasions. I don't even know whether I would be able to check e-mails from there.
Anyway, if I am not avaiblable, I am not available - I have for this purpose my answering machine at home. I love to take my off-time every now and then. And fortunately, I don't have customers that go elsewhere if I don't answer within an hour or so.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 17:16
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
YES Aug 1, 2008

Yes!!!! Couldn't do without it.

Hail Blackberry!

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think it's a bad habit to mix gym time, family/social life and work Aug 1, 2008

J S wrote:

Like Viktoria, I am one of those endangered species who don't have a mobile phone (by choice).

I am at my desk all day with a phone within arm's reach, email and skype too, and when I'm out of the office I generally don't want to be bothered with work.

I receive most of my work via email rather than telephone calls and I am a devout fan of the "out of office" email message, even if I just pop out for a couple of hours. My clients are alerted that I am away from my desk and that I will be back and reply to their message at a specific time. I don't think that I've ever missed up on a job that might have been salvaged by a mobile phone, internet-enabled or otherwise.

Best,
Jocelyne

Same thing here. I hate being interrupted when I take some time off. If I go out of town and do not plan to be checking my mail at all, I leave an automatic answer informing clients when I will be back.

Have a nice weekend, guys!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
If you wish to receive emails while away from your desk Aug 2, 2008

What do you do if you receive an email? And how do you react?

Abandon your shopping cart in the grocery store?
Make a u-turn on the freeway / Autobahn?
Hop off the dentist's chair?

Either I am available or I am not. My regulars know in advance when I am out of the office during regular hours. New contacts have to wait. Being available at all times looks awfully needy, BTW.

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
flatrate Aug 2, 2008

Very convenient. No worries.
I have a internet flatrate. It's great. I check my emails 4-5 times a day with it.

It's not needy. If you want to get new clients, you have to answer quickly. If I was a client, I would prefer a good translator who is also quick.
Regulars don't expect an answer in an hour.

[Edited at 2008-08-02 11:48]

Leticia Moreno
Leticia Moreno
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Skeptical Aug 2, 2008

I guess I'm still a little skeptical about Internet on mobile phones, but I know it's very useful and that, without a doubt, someday soon I'll be using it.

theda
theda  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:16
German to French
+ ...
No, because of the small screen issue Aug 2, 2008

I opted for another solution: I just bought an Asus Eee. Since it is a mini lap top, I have a browser, Word and Excel on it. It is so small and light (700g) that it fits in any bag and connected to a mobile modem, it is kind of an "take-away office". This allows me to be away from my desk for a while and still be able to do small, urgent jobs for regular customers as well as check my mails. I know, holidays should be holidays but I am not doing this job for long enough that I can let go good job... See more
I opted for another solution: I just bought an Asus Eee. Since it is a mini lap top, I have a browser, Word and Excel on it. It is so small and light (700g) that it fits in any bag and connected to a mobile modem, it is kind of an "take-away office". This allows me to be away from my desk for a while and still be able to do small, urgent jobs for regular customers as well as check my mails. I know, holidays should be holidays but I am not doing this job for long enough that I can let go good jobs/interesting jobs because I am not at my desk. Collapse

matteo brambilla
matteo brambilla  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes... Aug 2, 2008

...and I am TOTALLY in love with my Iphone!!

M.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use your mobile phone to check your emails?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »