Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Depends on... Oct 27, 2017

I clicked "Depends on" but while I'm thinking about what to post here, I come to think that I should have picked "agree".
I chose "Depends on" because I wanted to say that besides the question of whether the negative feedback is justified or not, it also depends on the client's tone. Back in time when I worked in a translation agency, we sometimes got negative feedback from clients who wanted to pay less and explained it by making changes like "beim" should be "bei dem" (would be like say
... See more
I clicked "Depends on" but while I'm thinking about what to post here, I come to think that I should have picked "agree".
I chose "Depends on" because I wanted to say that besides the question of whether the negative feedback is justified or not, it also depends on the client's tone. Back in time when I worked in a translation agency, we sometimes got negative feedback from clients who wanted to pay less and explained it by making changes like "beim" should be "bei dem" (would be like saying it had to be "they are" instead of "they're"). Those were really annoying...
As a freelancer, however, negative feedback is something that occurs rarely, and if so, often is related to internal communication styles of clients (my response: "please provide style guides, terminology lists etc. IN ADVANCE"). If I get negative feedback that is not justified and if the tone of the client is inappropriate, and if it occurred repeatedly with a certain client, I'd rather terminate the cooperation.
Maybe that's not exactly an improvement of services, but I'd say it contributes to me strengthening my position as a freelancer, taking a stand.
Collapse

Mike Wilkinson
Mike Wilkinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Too many arrogant idiots think their English is better than the natives' Nov 4, 2017

Too many arrogant idiots think their English is better than what the natives can produce. I don't know if that's a particular problem with my language combination (for Dutch into English), but ninety-plus percent of negative feedback falls into that category.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Negative feedback from a client is just a chance to improve my services:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »