Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How high are your monthly health insurance costs (private or statutory)
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
German to English
Hi Wendy, Nov 17, 2018

Wendy Streitparth wrote:

I have to say that I was shocked by what Michael is paying, until I realised that I have 70% free coverage as my husband was a civil servant. The remaining 30% costs me € 230,00 (or thereabouts!) but I am sure there are cheaper options, depending on what risks one is prepared to take (i.e. considering one's state of health).

There are always cheaper options, if you want to go private and just hope that nothing goes wrong. As mentioned, seing as my wife is part time, I would have to have the family option and pay the respective amunt more, not making it worth it.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
German to English
tel me about it Gudrun, Nov 17, 2018

Gudrun Maydorn wrote:

Here is a somewhat simplified explanation of the compulsory German health insurance system. (There are a number of statutory health insurance companies and their fees may vary slightly. I cannot comment on private health insurance, because I have no first-hand knowledge of it.)

According to statistics, people in fulltime employment in Germany currently earn an average 3045 € per month. Compulsory health insurance contributions are approximately 15.5 % of the monthly income, i.e. approx 472 €. The fees are independent of family status or the number of children.

If you are an employee, you and your employer share that cost (i.e. approx 236 € each), but if you are self-employed you have to pay the full amount. And if you earn more, you pay more.

A self-employed translator with German health insurance fees of just 260 € would be earning only a fraction of the national average income.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-16 09:07 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-16 09:10 GMT]

High health insurance and pension insurance fees as well as a fairly high cost of living are some of the reasons why translators living and working in Germany have to charge much higher rates than those living in less expensive countries.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-16 09:12 GMT]

tell me about it.

I am happy that I do not have to pay into the state pension scheme and have that private so that I get back all of my money.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How high are your monthly health insurance costs (private or statutory)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »