Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On losing accents quicly Feb 3, 2020

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
In fact, it's not likely that her children had much of an accent in English anyway. Young kids *usually* don't have an accent in their learned language.

Where I live, it is common for immigrants from certain countries (I can think of a few) to retain their "non-native" accent well into the second or third generation, while with immigrants from certain other countries, it is much less noticeable.

But perhaps the "accent" that Mrs. Chua is referring to isn't so much pronouncing words in a way that shows that you're not from that region, but simply the inability to speak the local language fluently. She writes "My parents had accents — I had an accent. I was thrown into nursery school not speaking a word of English", but speaking "not a word of English" (or speaking English poorly) is not an accent problem.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Totally disagree Feb 4, 2020

The accent is not optional, therefore it's not a sign of anything except that the person is from a specific region/country.
This is a neo-euphemism of the snowflake era, which advocates for everything that used to be considered undue, wrong or undesirable till now.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 4, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

Justin Peterson wrote:

In some cases, I suppose. Don't really understand what the point of the quote is.

The common misunderstanding accents is that they bear some relationship to one's linguistic level, or mastery of the language. Accents are not a good indicator of one's level. I know people here in Spain who speak flawless Spanish, but they have an accent. Often the Spanish don't understand why he/she does not "lose" their accent after so many years, and having such a high level. It doesn't work like that. It's kind of terminal; you reach a certain point, and it is almost impossible to lose your accent if you did not learn the language as a child, or have a special gift.

J

I thought the topic is about a foreign accent
Isn't it?

It is indeed, and I understood that Justin was talking about foreigners living in Spain who retain their foreign accent even though they speak Spanish very well.

Yes, speaking with a foreign accent is indeed a sign of bravery. A sign that you are willing to brave anything from a disparaging attitude to more racist reactions.

My neighbour was told he had to do a French test to prove his level in order to get a residence permit. He pointed out that he had published a book that he wrote in French (based on his thesis for which he partly studied in France) and the civil servant was very sceptical that he actually wrote it. Because he's precisely one of these people Justin was talking about, who are very fluent and can express complex ideas in a foreign language, yet still have an atrocious accent.
(In the end, he doesn't have to do a test, because he did get some kind of diploma from a French university at some point - oh and he's married to a Frenchman so they couldn't make him leave anyway!)

Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 4, 2020

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

In fact, it's not likely that her children had much of an accent in English anyway.
[Edited at 2020-02-02 23:08 GMT]

Reading the excerpt provided by Samuel, I understood that the mother was preemptively telling her children this so that they wouldn't make fun of people with an accent (since they had been making fun of foreign-sounding names). Presumably the children speak with a flawless accent, but the parents and grandparents still retain their foreign accent.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Define:Language / Accent Feb 9, 2020

A language is just an artificially conventional and constantly changing system as means of communication, self-expression, and self-identity (origin/ strata /district /region /trade /neighborhoods and so on). Whatever they say, the society does heavily effect speakers.

First, a priori there's no "true highmen" privileged variant. Why, even 'elite' natives in the same city often have language issues with understanding each other, let alone cultural or moral speci
... See more
A language is just an artificially conventional and constantly changing system as means of communication, self-expression, and self-identity (origin/ strata /district /region /trade /neighborhoods and so on). Whatever they say, the society does heavily effect speakers.

First, a priori there's no "true highmen" privileged variant. Why, even 'elite' natives in the same city often have language issues with understanding each other, let alone cultural or moral specifics. (Unless they are from the same circle.)
Second, what's wrong if one is proud to be from a foreign country? No need to conceal a foreign accent or to fake a native one.

Although my musical ears enable me to closely mimic one's speaking peculiarities within a minute or two, I don't pretend to be a native. No unsolicited advice, indeed. Anyway, I often encourage shy people even with strong but still comprehensible accent to smalltalk, practicing in L2 or even L3. It often comes to good time and useful contacts!

I understand that some anglophones would prefer there were less other wannabes and English-speakers as rivals. However, considering the numbers and the ratio, isn't it Chinglish and Indiaglish what makes a new 'perceived pronunciation' now? 
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
An English person speaking Italian with an English accent sounds so hilarious that... Feb 10, 2020

the Italians used it to overdub Laurel and Hardy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0t9ows_Bdg

[Edited at 2020-02-10 16:56 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Nice idea for a novel Feb 10, 2020

By the sound of it, Amy Chua was saying that a foreign accent means you have moved countries, and moving countries is brave. But actually, people move countries for all different reasons and encounter all levels of difficulty doing so. For some people, moving countries might be the easier option.

If a person has a foreign accent, but goes ahead and speaks out boldly anyway, doing their best and learning even though people laugh or frown at their accent, then that shows a certain str
... See more
By the sound of it, Amy Chua was saying that a foreign accent means you have moved countries, and moving countries is brave. But actually, people move countries for all different reasons and encounter all levels of difficulty doing so. For some people, moving countries might be the easier option.

If a person has a foreign accent, but goes ahead and speaks out boldly anyway, doing their best and learning even though people laugh or frown at their accent, then that shows a certain strength. But at the same time, it's not like they have a choice.

I think Ms Chua has romanticised her parents' life story a little. Or maybe I'm just a spoilsport
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stanlio ed Ollio Feb 10, 2020

Even those names certainly brightened up my day, Tom! I admit I didn't see the whole video, but afterwards I did find myself wondering how "Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten me into" would be rendered in Italian.

But, in a nod to another post, presumably it wouldn't end in a preposition ...

[Edited at 2020-02-10 17:54 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Foreign accent? Feb 11, 2020

Your accent is your accent, and only becomes 'foreign' when you start talking in a language other then your native tongue.

Having said that, I speak 6 languages, but in all of them you can hear my Dutch accent, how hard I am trying to conceal it.

I have to face the fact that I am born with my 'foreign' accent and probably will die with it. I am wondering if I am the only one.

[Edited at 2020-02-11 20:28 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Intonation and connected speech Feb 11, 2020

Considering accent (specific pronunciation) and dialect (different accent + grammar + lex), what exactly makes a foreign accent--if even two native speakers from different districts of the same city can hardly understand each other? Foreign language competence is too broad, whereas the only pragmatic criterion is it's either comprehensible or not.

While many A0-B1 shy children and B2 modest adults are reluctant to use L2 not to be mocked at (
... See more
Considering accent (specific pronunciation) and dialect (different accent + grammar + lex), what exactly makes a foreign accent--if even two native speakers from different districts of the same city can hardly understand each other? Foreign language competence is too broad, whereas the only pragmatic criterion is it's either comprehensible or not.

While many A0-B1 shy children and B2 modest adults are reluctant to use L2 not to be mocked at (or taught in a grammarian way as reading-writing without listening-speaking-thinking), it's not about proficiency but necessity.

I'm sure that if people really want, they will at least try to understand each other. Besides, without talking the communication would turn into epistolary, lacking much non-verbal things. Languages change and die...

No Pygmalion problem either, it takes just 30-400 hrs to develop a strong American or British accent to your liking, if you please. Motivation?
Collapse

Kaytag Tan
Kaytag Tan
Canada
Disagree Feb 3, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question ""A foreign accent is a sign of bravery."".

View the poll results »

A foreign accent is a sign of not being able to speak the language properly.

I disagree. Someone with a foreign accent is just speaking your language with the rule of theirs.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No Feb 4, 2021

I disagree. Someone with a foreign accent is just speaking your language with the rule of theirs.

It just mean that he/she is speaking a foreign language, I know very well the problem as I speak five languages but I have an Italian accent (I do not speak English with the rules of Italian).

[Edited at 2021-02-04 11:51 GMT]

expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Speaking with a foreign accent is not a sign of being unable to speak the language Feb 6, 2021

I'm shocked that people here would say that having a foreign accent when speaking a language means you can't speak the language. Here in Germany, I've encountered that attitude time and again when people tell me that my German is good "but you have an accent", as if that detracts from my otherwise decent German. How on earth can anyone ever speak a foreign language with any other accent but their own? I have actually met some who can do that and I'm deeply suspicious of them? Are they just "putt... See more
I'm shocked that people here would say that having a foreign accent when speaking a language means you can't speak the language. Here in Germany, I've encountered that attitude time and again when people tell me that my German is good "but you have an accent", as if that detracts from my otherwise decent German. How on earth can anyone ever speak a foreign language with any other accent but their own? I have actually met some who can do that and I'm deeply suspicious of them? Are they just "putting it on", hiding their true identity, or what?

Furthermore, when people do try to speak a foreign language like the native speakers, they often sound strange to me. A case in point: my German colleagues who tend to speak English with a posh-sounding English accent, which sounds nothing short of ridiculous to me as an Irishman! Don't they realise that a) there are roughly six times more native speakers of English in the US than in the UK and b) most Brits speak with regional and/or "uneducated" accents rather than the silly-sounding "BBC" English they're trying to imitate?

When I speak English to a non-native English speaker, I'm just glad if they have a good vocabulary, decent grammar and can understand me (many fail on all three counts). I'd never expect them to speak like a native speaker, which in English is hard anyway, as they'd have to pick the variant (American, British, Irish, etc.).
Collapse

Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
How harsh is the accent? Feb 7, 2021

I did meet people who speak their second language with a perfect, flawless accent. They are few and far between but they do exist. Actually harsh accent may and does prevent you from being understood by monolingual native speakers. I’m not speaking about linguists, multilinguals, internationals and others who are used to dealing with varied accents, but just ordinary native speakers.

People who had a better exposure to spoken target language will have less noticeable accent. I don
... See more
I did meet people who speak their second language with a perfect, flawless accent. They are few and far between but they do exist. Actually harsh accent may and does prevent you from being understood by monolingual native speakers. I’m not speaking about linguists, multilinguals, internationals and others who are used to dealing with varied accents, but just ordinary native speakers.

People who had a better exposure to spoken target language will have less noticeable accent. I don’t mean TV shows etc. but real language in RL. People whose foreign language studies were more text based without any speech training will likely have a stronger accent. Of course some people acquire both, but this is more rare.
Collapse

Gerard Barry
Angie Garbarino

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Very true Feb 7, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

People who had a better exposure to spoken target language will have less noticeable accent. I don’t mean TV shows etc. but real language in RL. People whose foreign language studies were more text based without any speech training will likely have a stronger accent. Of course some people acquire both, but this is more rare.

This is so true. When I studied German in school and university, our teachers didn't place near enough emphasis on proper pronunciation, despite the fact that some of them were native speakers of German themselves. Until I lived in Germany, I never really knew for instance that "a" and "ä", "o" and "ö" and "u" and "ü" are pronounced completely differently. This is pretty basic stuff but our teachers didn't bother telling us!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: "A foreign accent is a sign of bravery."

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »