Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Freelancers are uniquely better-prepared for current world events like the coronavirus.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Call the doctor Mar 18, 2020

While many free*lancers seem to take handicraft for a zeitgeist privilege, they are forgetting about the fact, artisans--unlike translators--combine several different activities and generate the workflow themselves, having enough resources to live on. Not the case with mere PEMTers and keypressers.

I believe anyone who has neither emergency supply nor funds is but a 'unique' loser.
Or just a city dweller, perhaps)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No Mar 18, 2020

No, I think most freelancers who do not run their freelance activities like proper businesses are not really capable to deal with sudden sizable gaps in their income. And, since freelancers typically have a delay between the work that they do and their payment, they will experience the effects of that gap in income later, at a time when other workers may already have recovered from it.

P.L.F. Persio
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tanja Oresnik
Juno Bos
Philippe Etienne

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:35
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

No Mar 18, 2020

Not many freelancers have savings that would allow them to live for several months with no income.

I'm sure the recession will hit our industry just as it will hit many others.

Being well prepared for the pandemic does not mean being used to working from home. It would be great if it were that simple, but it's not.

Tanja Oresnik
Muriel Vasconcellos
Juno Bos
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Joe France
Sabrina Bruna

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Mar 18, 2020

Well, being a freelance translator has been a sort of 2 decades self-imposed quarantine to me

Jean Shearer
Tom in London

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
French to English
Not so sure Mar 18, 2020

I would say that social isolation may be the easy part for many people who work at home all the time.

The practicalities of protecting our vulnerable people are harder.

And then we have to cope with all sorts of anxieties about the problems that could arise.

Hopefully, forums such as this will be a place where we can at least provide moral support to each other.

Liena Vijupe
neilmac
Joe France
Sabrina Bruna

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:35
Greek to English
Not "uniquely" Mar 19, 2020

People who are accustomed to working from home, without much social contact, will probably find it easier to deal with the psychological consequences of self-isolation, etc.

But that doesn't mean they are "uniquely" better prepared than anybody else. We translators don't have stronger immune systems than the average, or better financial resilience, or even necessarily a well-stocked vegetable garden and plenty of chickens.

Daniel Klobucar
Jean Shearer
expressisverbis

Kevin Patrick Johnson
Kevin Patrick Johnson
Japan
Local time: 01:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
No support structure Mar 19, 2020

When the orders stop coming to a freelancer, you're in trouble.

People at companies can get paid without getting fired.

I live in Japan, and it's a big deal that freelancers are actually uniquely suffering from the crisis because e.g. freelance instructors' classes are being cancelled.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
Freelance translator vs freelancer Mar 19, 2020

Freelancer does not equal freelance translator, so yes, freelance coaches are not exactly happy campers at the moment. As a freelance TRANSLATOR, however, the biggest impact is a marked decrease in the quality of my lunches because I want to save my face masks for more substantial outings.

My musical activities are on hiatus since early February, but that's another matter. The people I hire, freelance musicians, are the ones taking the financial hit.

My work has not see
... See more
Freelancer does not equal freelance translator, so yes, freelance coaches are not exactly happy campers at the moment. As a freelance TRANSLATOR, however, the biggest impact is a marked decrease in the quality of my lunches because I want to save my face masks for more substantial outings.

My musical activities are on hiatus since early February, but that's another matter. The people I hire, freelance musicians, are the ones taking the financial hit.

My work has not seen any material decline. I'm sure my clients and their clients have been affected, but the supply line for gaming translations in China was able to chug along when things were at their worst, and it's not any worse now than it was last month.

My biggest loss is in my savings, where the value of my investment portfolio dropped 13% from mid-Feb - about two good full month's worth of work lost. Still, it's not like anyone else's portfolio is doing much better at the moment, and I'm not in any immediate danger of not being able to make ends meet. I have about a full year's worth of income in cash saved, which should sustain a modest living for, oh, about three years, without having to touch my investment portfolio. My needs are modest enough that I could live off dividends for an arbitrary amount of time if I forgo the non-necessities in life.

So the global financial crisis has caused losses, but no more than it would impact any other person with a reasonable amount of assets, and 'tis better to have assets to lose than to have nothing left to lose. But I have always assumed that my job security is precarious and that I could go from five figures to zero figures overnight, and it's no more precarious now than it ever was.
Collapse

Daniel Klobucar
Daniel Klobucar
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
We are not as prepared as we would wish to be Mar 19, 2020

I do not believe we are better-prepared for current world events like coronavirus.
I just received an e-mail from one of my clients saying that they are delaying payment cycles because they are not sure whether they will be able to collect the money from their end-customers.
So, while we are working from home as usual, it turns out that our income is suddenly not secured. And if we don't get income we don't eat because - unlike big companies who are now relaying on generous support f
... See more
I do not believe we are better-prepared for current world events like coronavirus.
I just received an e-mail from one of my clients saying that they are delaying payment cycles because they are not sure whether they will be able to collect the money from their end-customers.
So, while we are working from home as usual, it turns out that our income is suddenly not secured. And if we don't get income we don't eat because - unlike big companies who are now relaying on generous support from the governments - we have absolutely no safety network to fall on to - at least here in the UK.
My reaction to the previously mentioned e-mail was: OK, in that case I am not accepting any further work from your agency until the payment issue is resolved. I urge all other translators to do the same. Because being able to work from home is one thing, but if our payments are not guaranteed, then we might as well not work.
Collapse

Maria da Glória Teixeira

Amandine Added
Amandine Added  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
As most... Mar 19, 2020

I do not mind isolation as I do not go out that much and I am used to work alone from home. But working alone and have a whole family there at the same time are different things.
Furthermore, I gave my beautiful office to my husband (well we were to get married the 4th of April but that will not happen now, but I'll keep to the term)
He seems very happy with my little office and my big screen. It makes me happy for the
... See more
I do not mind isolation as I do not go out that much and I am used to work alone from home. But working alone and have a whole family there at the same time are different things.
Furthermore, I gave my beautiful office to my husband (well we were to get married the 4th of April but that will not happen now, but I'll keep to the term)
He seems very happy with my little office and my big screen. It makes me happy for the moment, I'll get back to you once my back hurts and I miss my screen)
For the virus, we are like everybody else)
Collapse

Omri Ofek Luzon
Omri Ofek Luzon  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:35
Member (2019)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Depends Mar 26, 2020

We are codependent on the idustry. No work in the world, no material to translate.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Same here Mar 26, 2020

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Well, being a freelance translator has been a sort of 2 decades self-imposed quarantine to me

Same here - and looking at your photo reminds me that if this quarantining goes on for a couple of months, I'm going to have a hair problem...

Interesting side note: "Quarantine"- mid 17th century: from the Italian "quarantina" (forty days’) from "quaranta" (forty). But today, "quarantine" in Italian is "quarantena".

[Edited at 2020-03-26 12:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Freelancers are uniquely better-prepared for current world events like the coronavirus.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »