Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: At peak speed and without a CAT tool, how many source word can you translate in 1 hour?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:50
Italian to English
. Dec 22, 2005

I'm a fast typist too but I often leave letters out or rearrange their order. Fortunately, MSN usually takes care of that. Too bad we don't have a tool like that for this forum.

[Edited at 2005-12-22 17:55]

[Edited at 2005-12-22 19:03]

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
. Dec 22, 2005

Anyway, I often have documents where I can put my "auto pilot" on and just translate away at an incredible rate. I was suprised to hear it's not the same for everybody.

Allen Harris
Allen Harris
United States
Local time: 01:50
French to English
+ ...
What I mean Dec 22, 2005

After seeing this poll and discussion, I've refined what I mean when I say my rate is 300 words per hour. For me, that means if you give me 300 words to translate from French to English (disregarding other factors for the moment), I can return the target text in 60 minutes -- translated, composed and checked. And that’s by hand, using pen, paper and dictionaries. That’s what I mean. I suppose if the question is how many words I can crunch in an hour using a keyboard, then I think the rate wi... See more
After seeing this poll and discussion, I've refined what I mean when I say my rate is 300 words per hour. For me, that means if you give me 300 words to translate from French to English (disregarding other factors for the moment), I can return the target text in 60 minutes -- translated, composed and checked. And that’s by hand, using pen, paper and dictionaries. That’s what I mean. I suppose if the question is how many words I can crunch in an hour using a keyboard, then I think the rate will be much higher.Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I honestly don't see the point of the poll... Dec 22, 2005

...mainly because I can hardly remember when I last translated anything for money without a CAT tool. What's the point?

As it stands, the poll seems to be about typing speeds, and I envy some of the respondents the skills they claim. I would however point out that it is unprofitable in the long term to go down the "how much" route with translation, or indeed any other service. The trick is to crank up the "how well", and get paid accordingly.

FWIW

Giles

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:50
Flemish to English
+ ...
Enter the Dragon. Dec 22, 2005

I have been wondering what how fast you can translate when using Dragon Dictate.
Is it a kind of interpreting with a lot of resources at your disposal. As you all know a day's work of interpreting equals the output of a translator of one week ... So, are you doing a kind of interpreting with a lot of resources at your disposal. Enter the Dragon and your speed of producing words enhances by what factor.....? When I used it I can dicatate an entire paragraph in a couple of minutes. Of cours
... See more
I have been wondering what how fast you can translate when using Dragon Dictate.
Is it a kind of interpreting with a lot of resources at your disposal. As you all know a day's work of interpreting equals the output of a translator of one week ... So, are you doing a kind of interpreting with a lot of resources at your disposal. Enter the Dragon and your speed of producing words enhances by what factor.....? When I used it I can dicatate an entire paragraph in a couple of minutes. Of course, you have to take into account a couple of minutes to correct the words which were not yet contained in the Dragon's database.

[Edited at 2005-12-22 22:54]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a fast typist, but... Dec 23, 2005

My talent does not lie in fast typing. I once wondered if I could ever make a living typing. Now it turns out I can. I am at least fast and accurate enough to give me an output of 750-1000 words per hour at peak, and that of course includes proofing, otherwise I do not think the measure is valid. And that would be all day long, and a day much over 8 hours. As for a week... well, along the line I may have times when I poop out.

It also supposes a familiar area, no format problems, wo
... See more
My talent does not lie in fast typing. I once wondered if I could ever make a living typing. Now it turns out I can. I am at least fast and accurate enough to give me an output of 750-1000 words per hour at peak, and that of course includes proofing, otherwise I do not think the measure is valid. And that would be all day long, and a day much over 8 hours. As for a week... well, along the line I may have times when I poop out.

It also supposes a familiar area, no format problems, working within an existing word processing file and using various tricks such as search and replace.

However, one of the things that has always driven me in my work is "do it right the first time". Consequently, proofing and revision are not time-consuming. Furthermore, when I am working under real pressure it seems that my production and accuracy rise significantly. I can only attribute that to concentration.

Finally, I cannot possibly conceive of any advantage whatsoever I could gain by using a CAT tool. The one I have developed though the years has served me well, and also does double duty as a hatrack.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Advantages of touch typing Dec 23, 2005

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

...the key lies in fast typing - touch typing, in fact. I only look at the source text, or out of the window for particular inspiration, and not at the keyboard or what I am typing. If I get stuck on a word, I just skip it and try to keep riding the wave to keep the flow going.

Jill

That's what I do! I look away from my desk or even close my eyes. I'm amazed that when I don't look at the screen or the keyboard, everything goes a lot faster. And the translation is "fresher," less labored. And, surprisingly, I make fewer typos!

[Edited at 2005-12-24 06:52]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Touch typing Dec 29, 2005

Agreement with my fellow touch typists. This is a major skill for a translator. Your eyes can stay on the source text, where they need to be. Eyes source, hands target. See ya!

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
depends on work method Jan 5, 2006

I get the impression people answer differently depending on how they work. Some prefer to type as much as possible in one go, then spend time checking it all and researching afterwards, others check and research as they go.

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:50
German to English
+ ...
Depends on Language Jan 10, 2006

As a multiple language translator, I can often translate more quickly in some languages than in others. This is not only a factor of how well I know each language, but also on the language structure.

When translating from French into English I can translate much faster than when translating from German into English, even though German is my strongest language (after English, that is). The reason is that German requires a great deal of reorganising and finding the end of the sentence
... See more
As a multiple language translator, I can often translate more quickly in some languages than in others. This is not only a factor of how well I know each language, but also on the language structure.

When translating from French into English I can translate much faster than when translating from German into English, even though German is my strongest language (after English, that is). The reason is that German requires a great deal of reorganising and finding the end of the sentence, whereas between French and English, with the exception of reversing the order of adjective and noun, less of the structure needs changing. Also, French tends to use more words to say the same thing than English does.

Also, professionally, I only work into English. Whenever I do translate into a non-native language it takes me significantly longer.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
so why not rephrase, like "how fast can you type";) Jan 11, 2006

that's how I answered anyhow - 1000+. But that's the case, when somebody (my mind, my dog or cat) dictate what to write.

I don't think burst speed has any feet in our environment.

PS: of course this all assumes I make no typos and dont need the spell checker. Which is naive.

[Edited at 2006-01-11 22:51]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At peak speed and without a CAT tool, how many source word can you translate in 1 hour?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »