Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever cried over a translation job?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Source of frustration over translation ...... Aug 30, 2007

1) Bad source text (written by those who do not know how to write)
2) Very ambiguous term "industry specific terminologies", and expectation that I am supposed to know every one of them
3) Cotton-pick'in TRADOS -- having to deal with extremely poorly written manual

....... to name a few.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Чили
Local time: 20:38
английский => испанский
+ ...
Tears of anger Aug 30, 2007

The only time I have ever shed tears over a translation job it was out of anger. I would not call it frustration, because everything had gone right in spite of the many problems my team and I had had with certain files.

I already told the complete story here, so I need not repeat it. The poll was about checking word counts.

lylaelia
lylaelia
Южная Kорея
Local time: 09:38
английский => корейский
+ ...
I dare assume I'm a winner. Aug 30, 2007

...but don't worry, I know better than turning everything into a competition.

Back to my answer: I cried my eyes out while translating the most endearing, the most passionate love letters. But it was neither "the most passionate" nor "love letters" part that made me cry - I translated them (French to Korean, by the way) when my own relationship got bumpier and shakier. And both the translation job and the tough relationship lasted a few months. .....Ah, life!...
See more

Back to my answer: I cried my eyes out while translating the most endearing, the most passionate love letters. But it was neither "the most passionate" nor "love letters" part that made me cry - I translated them (French to Korean, by the way) when my own relationship got bumpier and shakier. And both the translation job and the tough relationship lasted a few months. .....Ah, life!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 02:38
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
A moving reply Aug 30, 2007

lylaelia wrote:

Back to my answer: I cried my eyes out while translating the most endearing, the most passionate love letters. But it was neither "the most passionate" nor "love letters" part that made me cry - I translated them (French to Korean, by the way) when my own relationship got bumpier and shakier. And both the translation job and the tough relationship lasted a few months. .....Ah, life!

This was moving. I just wanted to say so.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Never Aug 30, 2007

- or not that I can remember.

I also interpreted the question as "cried in frustration", which I've certainly never done, although I've screamed and yelled in frustration more than a few times.

The closest I've ever come to crying was when I had to translate some progress reports for a severely physically disabled little boy - he was undergoing some kind of treatment in the States, and so his parents needed translations of their diaries of his activities and the like f
... See more
- or not that I can remember.

I also interpreted the question as "cried in frustration", which I've certainly never done, although I've screamed and yelled in frustration more than a few times.

The closest I've ever come to crying was when I had to translate some progress reports for a severely physically disabled little boy - he was undergoing some kind of treatment in the States, and so his parents needed translations of their diaries of his activities and the like for his doctors. It was heartrending stuff.

One of the worst things about being a medical translator is that often you never find out the "ending" - I translated those reports for about a year or so, and then they never came again. I don't know if the agency found someone else, the parents found another agency, or something worse...

[Edited at 2007-08-30 08:58]
Collapse

xima
xima  Identity Verified
английский => каталанский (каталонский)
+ ...
More than a few times, in fact. Aug 30, 2007

Not strange, though. My job? I translate movie scripts.

Out of frustration? I don't think so. I'd rather shout and yell too.

Cheers!

ADSTRAD
ADSTRAD  Identity Verified
английский => французский
+ ...
tears of despair Aug 30, 2007

when the kids get sick, I haven't slept properly and have to finish a particularly hard job... I won't believe I'm the only one...

Stefanie Neubert
Stefanie Neubert  Identity Verified
Швеция
английский => немецкий
+ ...
tears of frustration and anger Aug 30, 2007

Dear God, its so good to know I am not alone! ;O)

CAT-Tool problems shortly before ending the job, a crashing computer (thanks to a well known OS), problems with the DSL-connection and no responsible technician in sight for about a week (!!!), a night without sleep because of my daughter - in general things that really mess up my translation schedule can lead to yelling, frustration and yes, to be honest, sometimes tears of frustration.

But I never had a translation tha
... See more
Dear God, its so good to know I am not alone! ;O)

CAT-Tool problems shortly before ending the job, a crashing computer (thanks to a well known OS), problems with the DSL-connection and no responsible technician in sight for about a week (!!!), a night without sleep because of my daughter - in general things that really mess up my translation schedule can lead to yelling, frustration and yes, to be honest, sometimes tears of frustration.

But I never had a translation that made me cry though I can definitely imagine myself to burst out in tears over a sort of tragic text - in the end I am a human, not a machine.
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Urrrrggh.... Aug 30, 2007

I once checked a translation of a course on 3rd degree burns treatment. It was a PPT presentation, and there were LOTS of pretty photographs.

Think about those parts of the body that the PROZ Forum Rules probably wouldn't allow us to discuss. Now burn those body parts. A lot. I'm sure you get the picture.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Венгрия
Член ProZ.com c 2006
русский => венгерский
+ ...
ЛОКАЛИЗАТОР САЙТА
medical Aug 31, 2007

laboratory analysis results, diagnose: rarely agressive form of cancer
I faced the client who looked at the paper and slowly said: it's mine
I looked at him and said: I came through the same and still here
we cried both

Tony M
Tony M
Франция
Член ProZ.com
французский => английский
+ ...
ЛОКАЛИЗАТОР САЙТА
Just once... Sep 13, 2007

... because of the subject matter:
part of my research involved reading the transcripts of the cockpit voice recordings for a major air disaster. They ended with the words "It's too late..."

Still makes me cry thinking about it again now...

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever cried over a translation job?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »