Thread poster: Natali Lekka
Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:56
English to French
+ ...
posted on the job board Aug 6, 2010

The offer, although with different subject matter and languages - and without the EUR 400 early transfer (!), was just posted on the job board http://www.proz.com/job/443702:

DOCUMENT TRANSLATOR
Posted: Aug 6, 2010 04:41 CEST (GMT+2) (GMT: Aug 6, 2010 02:41)
Vetting and notifications sent at: Aug 6, 2010 05:23 CEST (GMT+2)
A job notification was sent to you.
... See more
The offer, although with different subject matter and languages - and without the EUR 400 early transfer (!), was just posted on the job board http://www.proz.com/job/443702:

DOCUMENT TRANSLATOR
Posted: Aug 6, 2010 04:41 CEST (GMT+2) (GMT: Aug 6, 2010 02:41)
Vetting and notifications sent at: Aug 6, 2010 05:23 CEST (GMT+2)
A job notification was sent to you.

Job type: Translation/editing/proofing job
Service required: Translation

Languages: English to German, English to Spanish, English to French

Job description:

I am seeking a freelance translator, work from home. English into French, Spanish into English.

The total number of the words are ... 1,237,785 words.
The document to be translate will be under MARKETING TRANSLATION. and the document is about business Financing.
As for the deadline, i think that will be between the translator and i, the post was to open for the translator
in France and Spain so i believe whoever that want to work with me will agree with the terms
of the job which mean there will be a verification on my part. Must be a self-motivated, hard working professional translator/interpreter. Very much a people person with my main strengths lying within work skills and ability to
work under pressure.

Please contact as soon as possible with your CV, must be a private worker. Email resumes to. [email protected]

Poster country: United Kingdom

Service provider targeting (specified by job poster):

Membership: Non-members may quote after 12 hours
Subject field: Advertising / Public Relations
Quoting deadline: Aug 28, 2010 16:00 CEST (GMT+2) (GMT: Aug 28, 2010 14:00)
Delivery deadline: Sep 22, 2010 19:00 CEST (GMT+2) (GMT: Sep 22, 2010 17:00)

Sample text: Translating this text is NOT required

How You, Too, Can Quickly And Easily Complete Your Bar Business Plan To Raise Finance And Maximize Your Financial Results...

Everyone knows that a robust business plan is essential to raise finance and maximize profits. But creating a business plan that actually achieves those goals can seem a daunting and arduous task. However, every business needs a business plan

[Edited at 2010-08-07 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

Corinne O'Connor
Corinne O'Connor
France
English to French
SCAM, with address & phone number.... Aug 6, 2010

I was the happy selected translator for the same job this evening....^_^.... i was sent an email full of mistakes, from a spanish business man with disability, says he.... living in Bolton, UK.... I tried the UK white pages and no telephone number in Bolton, whether in Cumbria, Yorkshire, Northumberland or Lancashire begins with 01200.. nevertheless I tried calling but the number does NOT exist....

In the email he said at the beginning "i am pleased to tell you that i have choosen y
... See more
I was the happy selected translator for the same job this evening....^_^.... i was sent an email full of mistakes, from a spanish business man with disability, says he.... living in Bolton, UK.... I tried the UK white pages and no telephone number in Bolton, whether in Cumbria, Yorkshire, Northumberland or Lancashire begins with 01200.. nevertheless I tried calling but the number does NOT exist....

In the email he said at the beginning "i am pleased to tell you that i have choosen you to work on the project at hand which i have not finish".. yet later he gave me a precise word count: "The total number of the words are ... 46,785 words"...!!!

I had a similar scam before, from an IP address in Africa, willing to pay my rates, whatever they were... he wanted my address...and bank address.. When I asked him his details and Paypal address I never heard from him again..

Guess we have to be ever more careful: there are also agencies from the other side of the planet who seem to have weird practices??? How can we be sure they really do exist in the legal sense of the term??

[Edited at 2010-08-06 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-06 18:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-06 19:38 GMT]
Collapse

Natali Lekka
Natali Lekka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Aug 7, 2010

Corinne Rubio wrote:

In the email he said at the beginning "i am pleased to tell you that i have choosen you to work on the project at hand which i have not finish".. yet later he gave me a precise word count: "The total number of the words are ... 46,785 words"...!!!

[Edited at 2010-08-06 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-06 18:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-06 19:38 GMT]

Hi Corinne,

Yeah I got the same email today. It is the same person, same word count, same address and phone number in Bolton which doesn't exist.

Has anyone got to the bottom of this?

Illis Tagliaferro
Illis Tagliaferro  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
English to Spanish
This is a Scam! Aug 7, 2010

I received the same mail. I looked for the name of the sender in google, and I found out this:

MANAGING PARTNER
Rogriez Jefferey Gomiez,ESQ.
Calle Madrid Parla
28980 Marid Spain.

NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEST

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late Engr.
Fernando Sergio Morales;I once again try to notify you as my earlier
letter returned undelivered.

I here
... See more
I received the same mail. I looked for the name of the sender in google, and I found out this:

MANAGING PARTNER
Rogriez Jefferey Gomiez,ESQ.
Calle Madrid Parla
28980 Marid Spain.

NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEST

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late Engr.
Fernando Sergio Morales;I once again try to notify you as my earlier
letter returned undelivered.

I hereby attempt to reach you again by this same email address on the
WILL. I wish to notify you that late Engr. Fernando Sergio Morales
made you a beneficiary to his WILL. He left the sum of Six Million One
Hundred Thousand Dollars (USD$6,100.000.00 ) to you in the codicil
and last testament to his WILL.

This may sound strange and unbelievable to you, but it is real and
true. Being a widely traveled man, he must have been in contact with
you in the past or simply you were recommended to him by one of his
numerous friends abroad who wished you good. Engr. Fernando Sergio
Morales until his death was a member of the Helicopter Society and the
Institute of Electronic & Electrical Engineers. He had a very good
heart and loved to give out.

His great philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life
time. Late Engr.Fernando Sergio Morales died on the 13th day of
December,2005 at the age of 80 years, and his WILL is now ready for
execution.

According to him this money is to support your humanitarian activities
and to help the poor and the needy in our society. Please if I reach
you this time as I am hopeful, endeavor to get back to me as soon as
possible to enable me conclude my job. Endeavor to reply to the address
above for prompt response to your plight.

Yours in Service,
Barrister Rogriez Jefferey Gomiez (Principal Partner)
[email protected]

SO DEFINITLY IS A SCAMMER, WATCH OUT
Collapse

Lucia PINTO
Lucia PINTO
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you very much Aug 9, 2010

I received the same mail, and when I start to question him for the payment, he desapears as magically.

I think all the translators will be the same things when we found this kind of people.

Again thanks a lot

[Editado a las 2010-08-09 11:50 GMT]

Marina Puertas
Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a scam Aug 11, 2010

Hello,
A couple of days ago the offer mentioned by Natali was published in Proz. I exchanged several emails with this "client" and finally I agreed to do the translation. I gave this person my name and address, but he never confirmed the translation content, deadline, etc. Today, I have just received 8 checks which value is 4000€ but I am sure this is a scam.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Wiki page started on this subject Aug 11, 2010

Marina Puertas wrote:

Hello,
A couple of days ago the offer mentioned by Natali was published in Proz. I exchanged several emails with this "client" and finally I agreed to do the translation. I gave this person my name and address, but he never confirmed the translation content, deadline, etc. Today, I have just received 8 checks which value is 4000€ but I am sure this is a scam.

This is indeed a scam!

A ProZ.com Wiki article was started on the issue of Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams.

You are welcome and encouraged to add to this article to create a resource that will help translators in this subject area.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Jamie Smith
Jamie Smith
France
French to English
+ ...
Scam - ignore, block and scram! Aug 11, 2010

Having received an almost word-identical email from the same Mr Gomez on the 7th and being a young relatively unexperience freelancer, I naively responded with my CV. The reply striked me as extremely dubious with a sample (upon request) merely copy-pasted from a Business projects website. The Bolton telephone number offered is non-existant and the company he cites cannot be found on the web. Additionally, I stated I would translate from French into English - the 'client' replied with his sampl... See more
Having received an almost word-identical email from the same Mr Gomez on the 7th and being a young relatively unexperience freelancer, I naively responded with my CV. The reply striked me as extremely dubious with a sample (upon request) merely copy-pasted from a Business projects website. The Bolton telephone number offered is non-existant and the company he cites cannot be found on the web. Additionally, I stated I would translate from French into English - the 'client' replied with his sample stating I may choose whether I wish to translate INTO French or Spanish! Finally, having received this email to my personal address with no link to ProZ and as member of a number of translate websites, it wasn't clear where he'd found my details. Now all clear, project refused, Mr Gomez blocked from my Gmail and case (I hope, despite being in possession of my CV) closed!Collapse

Natali Lekka
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Aug 11, 2010

Marina Puertas wrote:

Hello,

Hello Marina,

It will be interesting to see what he will ask you to do now. Have you tried cashing the checks? They may bounce or he may ask you to pay something back. The Bolton number does not work but when I told him so, he said it is because he is in Spain now. He gave me a Spanish mobile number to call (although he said it is his office line). He also offered to call me, if I gave him a number.

Natali Lekka
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Aug 12, 2010

You may want to be careful by the way with this scammer. The last email I got from him, for merely asking for his landline was :

Hi,

I got a mail from the authority today as for what i filed... you will get a mail from my lawyer
soon... You will regret your life

Rogriez

Marie Springinsfeld (X)
Marie Springinsfeld (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Apparently Mr Gomez became a woman... Oct 13, 2010

Hello everyone,

I got the same kind of e-mail today, from a woman named Gustava Kovocli, from Sweden.
The sample she sent me is exactly the same as the one in the ad you quote, Aude.

She pretends to be a "disable private businesswoman" and says she prefers to give plenty of time to her translator because she likes to plan ahead of time (how nice...).

I'm already trying to get rid of another scam right now, so I will never answer any of these again!... See more
Hello everyone,

I got the same kind of e-mail today, from a woman named Gustava Kovocli, from Sweden.
The sample she sent me is exactly the same as the one in the ad you quote, Aude.

She pretends to be a "disable private businesswoman" and says she prefers to give plenty of time to her translator because she likes to plan ahead of time (how nice...).

I'm already trying to get rid of another scam right now, so I will never answer any of these again!

Thanks for sharing!

Marie
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have some fun Oct 13, 2010

Marie Springinsfeld wrote:

I'm already trying to get rid of another scam right now, so I will never answer any of these again!

Thanks for sharing!

Marie

Of course, the sensible action is to ignore these scams. But you could also have some fun and even the score a little.

Throw away the cheques when they arrive, but then deny having received them. The scammer will then have to go to the cost and bother of sending them again. Before the the cheques arrive again, you can explain that you are holiday in Iraq and won't be able to do the job until after Christmas.... and so on.

Claire Duffo (X)
Claire Duffo (X)  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
Scam Dec 19, 2010

Hi,

I've just received following email 15 minutes ago from AMY HOBSON - job offer published on 17th December on Translatorscafe. This is scam.

Hello ,

Thank you for your urgent respond to my request. I was in between projects, a little bit of a busy day that is why i have not been able to respond to your email earlier than now. I am a disable private businesswoman, looking for a translator.I have checked your CV and i am pleased to tell you that i
... See more
Hi,

I've just received following email 15 minutes ago from AMY HOBSON - job offer published on 17th December on Translatorscafe. This is scam.

Hello ,

Thank you for your urgent respond to my request. I was in between projects, a little bit of a busy day that is why i have not been able to respond to your email earlier than now. I am a disable private businesswoman, looking for a translator.I have checked your CV and i am pleased to tell you that i have chosen you to work on the project for we are in between a new business that will require us to write out in French. I truly understand your stand, about your manner of work. I attached a sample of the work titled project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

Markswoman inc, investor, i work on short time business still working on strong capital but we all start somewhere.

Be careful!

Claire

[Modifié le 2010-12-19 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

JMTrad
JMTrad
France
English to French
+ ...
Scam Jan 9, 2011

Hi all,

I received the exact same email today, this time from a disabled private businesswoman located in Spain. The supplier was also offering to pay a lot of money and was letting me plenty of time to complete the translation. The offer was posted on TranslatorsCafé and the email address of the advertiser was [email protected]. I checked on google and the sample text sent can be found on the following website: <
... See more
Hi all,

I received the exact same email today, this time from a disabled private businesswoman located in Spain. The supplier was also offering to pay a lot of money and was letting me plenty of time to complete the translation. The offer was posted on TranslatorsCafé and the email address of the advertiser was [email protected]. I checked on google and the sample text sent can be found on the following website: http://www.teneric.co.uk/bar-business-plan.html

Be careful and do not reply to any offer from this advertiser.

Jessica
Collapse

Iria Castiñeiras
Iria Castiñeiras
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disable private businessman Feb 8, 2011

Hello!

This evening this text arrived to me from a hotmail account:

Hello ,

Thank you for your urgent respond to my request. I was in between projects, a little bit of a busy day that is why i have not been able to respond to your email earlier than now. I am a disable private businessman, looking for a translator.I have checked your CV and i am pleased to tell you that i have chosen you to work on the project for we are in between a new business that will
... See more
Hello!

This evening this text arrived to me from a hotmail account:

Hello ,

Thank you for your urgent respond to my request. I was in between projects, a little bit of a busy day that is why i have not been able to respond to your email earlier than now. I am a disable private businessman, looking for a translator.I have checked your CV and i am pleased to tell you that i have chosen you to work on the project for we are in between a new business that will require us to write out in Spanish. I truly understand your stand, about your manner of work. I attached a sample of the work titled project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

linux Inc, an investor, i work on short time business still working on strong capital but we all start somewhere.

He says he is from Trumann, Arkansas. The same sample text as above was sent to me.

Hope this is helpful to all of you,

Iria Castiñeiras
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be a scam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »