Ernesto Bernal Arencibia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
It is a scam Oct 22, 2011

Helena75 wrote:

Hi,

this morning I rea d this email:

Now, the name is James Baxter. Another scam???

Hello ,

I didn't reply your previous email because of the change on the date for the project. As at the time we posted the job for translation, we made some change on our project and there is no way we can meet up the schedule date so we had to pros-pone the job until now. I hope you have some spear time to take on this project and to meet up with the delivery date.

I am a disable private businessman, looking for a translator to work on my new project that am taking on in Spain.I have checked your CV and i am pleased to inform you that i have chosen you to work on this project as my translator. I truly understand the stand of a translator, i mean how time is no friend to a translator so i will go straight to the points.. I attached a sample of the work titled FILE B, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

My business address is as follow..

216 CEDAR AVE
VINTON, VA 24179-3310
Phone: 239 443 3846

Now i guess you have an idea of the man you about to start work with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is negotiable but must be before November 29, 2011.

The total number of the words are ... 33,234 words so to convert from English to Spanish,i believe you know its a bit large work project states the followings..

++ Please state it out, the amount you charge for per word
++ please calculate the total amount, also state out the discount..
++ categorically state your city and country of residence?
++ Can you state out your date of delivery and method in which you will have all done

I hope we can come to term for success of this project.
Thank you

Best regards
James

I received the same email yesterday. He attached a google doc file named FILE B FM.doc to his email. It is definitely a scam. Ingore it.

Julio Oya Steinbrüggen
Julio Oya Steinbrüggen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:04
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a scam Oct 23, 2011

Hi,

I got the same email as jerrea. Previoulsy, like 6 months ago I had the same email with a different address. I did not reply the first time and that is likely why they tried again. Now and then you may get one of those scams and allof them have the same method. They overpay you by cheque, and quite a lot, they say it was a mistake on their side and ask you kindly to send them the difference by bank transfer. Once they get your money, you realise that cheque was bounced and they
... See more
Hi,

I got the same email as jerrea. Previoulsy, like 6 months ago I had the same email with a different address. I did not reply the first time and that is likely why they tried again. Now and then you may get one of those scams and allof them have the same method. They overpay you by cheque, and quite a lot, they say it was a mistake on their side and ask you kindly to send them the difference by bank transfer. Once they get your money, you realise that cheque was bounced and they have disappeared into thin air. So you lost your time doing that translation instead of doing another and your money on top of that.

One has to be extremely careful nowadays.

All the best,

Julio

[Edited at 2011-10-23 11:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-23 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

andres & wouter
andres & wouter
Spain
Local time: 02:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
James Baxter fake Oct 23, 2011

I got it as well. Same name, same mail. A scam for sure. IP: 205.188.105.145 . From New York City.

Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:04
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks colleagues! (and beware) Oct 25, 2011

I have received the same proposal coming from the so-called J.B. a couple of days ago, and I must admit I replied to his first e-mail. I considered the possibility that as a "disabled man" he could be using some (defective) speech recognition software, being the reason for the poor wording of the message.

His second e-mail containing such a weird payment option like Amex Travelers Cheques made me enough suspicious to l
... See more
I have received the same proposal coming from the so-called J.B. a couple of days ago, and I must admit I replied to his first e-mail. I considered the possibility that as a "disabled man" he could be using some (defective) speech recognition software, being the reason for the poor wording of the message.

His second e-mail containing such a weird payment option like Amex Travelers Cheques made me enough suspicious to look for (and find) a confirmation in this thread. Thanks to all of you guys!

and beware!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scam or not scam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »