Thread poster: Rosario Meriles
Rosario Meriles
Rosario Meriles  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:54
English to Spanish
May 20, 2015

Hi,

I need to download a video before importing it into a captioning software. Are you familiar with any free video downloader programmes? I can't have add video downloader professional and atube catcher is said to contain lots of viruses or things that can harm my computer, so it's been blocked by google chrome.

Can you help me? what can you suggest to me?

Thank you!

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
Free Download Manager May 20, 2015

Hi!

I use Free Download Manager and I'm happy with it.

Happy subtitling!

Margarita Díaz

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 06:54
English to German
Downloading vs. streaming May 20, 2015

Rosario M. wrote:

video downloader programmes?

Don't confuse "downloading" with "streaming".

For downloading you don't need any special software, your browser can do that.

The software you mentioned (video downloader professional & atube catcher) "watches" a video stream (which is not a file) and produce a file therefrom. It's like recording the screen content using a video camera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media

Generally, with streaming media the data are compressed, often in a lossy way. This means that if you subtitle or dub a stream, the graphics & tone quality of the resulting file will not be equivalent to that of the original file.

BTW, under certain circumstances converting streams to files is illegal. Because of that and because of the above mentioned quality aspects you should ask your client for a downloadable file instead of a stream. If he or she has no such file ... h'm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Resource: free software for downloading videos

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »