What's the best workflow for creating subtitles and translations from scratch?
Thread poster: Richard Varga
Richard Varga
Richard Varga  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 08:43
English to Slovak
+ ...
May 10, 2023

Let's say there are several scenarios:

1. The client has a video and wants translated subtitles - what's the best process of (transcription), translation, spotting?
2. The client has a video and a transcribed text - what's the best process of translation and spotting?

When spotting, what works best for you? Immediately putting text into adequately "sized" events in the video? Or preparing the events by full sentences and then editing down/splitting?

T
... See more
Let's say there are several scenarios:

1. The client has a video and wants translated subtitles - what's the best process of (transcription), translation, spotting?
2. The client has a video and a transcribed text - what's the best process of translation and spotting?

When spotting, what works best for you? Immediately putting text into adequately "sized" events in the video? Or preparing the events by full sentences and then editing down/splitting?

Thanks!
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Workflow May 10, 2023

Richard Varga wrote:

I’ve set an ASR (automatic speech recognition) program for this purpose. Normally, I’ll just pipe the video file into it, and it’ll create the English transcript with appropriate segmentation according to the parameters I gave it beforehand. Then I’d do the translation manually, following the style guidelines either stipulated by the client, or the “standard” subtitling conventions for my target language when none was provided. Is the transcription 100% accurate? No. Does it need to be? No. The English transcript is only an auxiliary document to cross-reference the utterances I hear with the written texts, just as a way for me to minimize errors.

If it was an English master template, I’d translate it as usual. But if it was a raw transcription, I’d charge them my spotting + translation rates. Raw transcripts aren’t going to help me all that much, since I still would have to create the subtitle boxes/events/segments/whatever-you-want-to-call-it myself.

[Edited at 2023-05-10 16:54 GMT]

Kristopher Brame

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best workflow for creating subtitles and translations from scratch?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »