Proofreading subtitles after pre-translated by AI (ENG-GER)
Thread poster: yzv87
yzv87
yzv87
Israel
Jan 2

I am working on a project where I proofread and translate subtitles from ENG to German. The client uses a subtitling software that pre-translated the ENG text into German (breaking down the sentences into lines as they are spoken in the vide), but the output quality of the AI is very poor. I work within the software switching back and forth from German to the source English when needed.

Does anyone have experience with such work? How long does it take you to proofread AI translatio
... See more
I am working on a project where I proofread and translate subtitles from ENG to German. The client uses a subtitling software that pre-translated the ENG text into German (breaking down the sentences into lines as they are spoken in the vide), but the output quality of the AI is very poor. I work within the software switching back and forth from German to the source English when needed.

Does anyone have experience with such work? How long does it take you to proofread AI translation. I find it takes me 1 hour to do 5 minutes of video, including occasionally watching parts of the video to understand the context (as well as punctuation, which is absent).

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:44
French to Spanish
+ ...
No experience with AI here... Jan 3

...but, from scratch (When you're good at it), you translate for subtitling 10 minutes video in 1 hour. Seeing your numbers, drop everything and do it from scratch... AI complicates everything and you work for peanuts.

Pamela Cruz
yzv87
Gianni Pastore
Peter Shortall
Thayenga

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 3

Before the ChatGPT boom, I was foolish enough to accept subtitling MTPE jobs. The currently available MT engines are inappropriate for colloquialisms, which constitute the lingo of most audiovisual products. As a consequence, the translations could be so unusable, that I would have to redo everything from scratch and practically rendered the task at hand into a full subtitle translation assignment. I imagine it's the same with AI*. At its core, this is no different from the good ol' MTPE.
... See more
Before the ChatGPT boom, I was foolish enough to accept subtitling MTPE jobs. The currently available MT engines are inappropriate for colloquialisms, which constitute the lingo of most audiovisual products. As a consequence, the translations could be so unusable, that I would have to redo everything from scratch and practically rendered the task at hand into a full subtitle translation assignment. I imagine it's the same with AI*. At its core, this is no different from the good ol' MTPE.

By the way, a professional subtitler would need to watch the video in its entirety at least twice. One before they start translating to understand the contexts, and another as part of the QA process. It's an unfortunate misconception that the subtitler would only need to watch a snippet of the audiovisual product. The deployment of AI/MT bears no relevance in this regard.

*Technically speaking, neural machine translation engines like DeepL are a form of AI. Sadly, it seems that this term has now been perverted as a blanket descriptor to generative chatbots like ChatGPT.

[Edited at 2024-01-03 02:31 GMT]
Collapse

yzv87
Gianni Pastore

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading subtitles after pre-translated by AI (ENG-GER)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »