Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
2000 words out of a 10000 word job is not a test... Sep 23, 2010

A few comments:

1. 2000 words out of a 10000 word job is not a test.
It is 20% (one fifth) of the job.
Calling it a "test" is a bit cheeky, to be diplomatic.

2. 2000 words is about 8-10 times of a normal size test.
200-250 words or one page is what I consider an acceptable size test, and usually it is enough to see whether the translator is qualified. Especially if it is for a specific job, and the text is from the actual job, 200 words should be enoug
... See more
A few comments:

1. 2000 words out of a 10000 word job is not a test.
It is 20% (one fifth) of the job.
Calling it a "test" is a bit cheeky, to be diplomatic.

2. 2000 words is about 8-10 times of a normal size test.
200-250 words or one page is what I consider an acceptable size test, and usually it is enough to see whether the translator is qualified. Especially if it is for a specific job, and the text is from the actual job, 200 words should be enough.

3. 150 Euros for a 2000 words job is a very low rate. (2000 words is a job - see above).
Perhaps you shouldn't have accepted, but since you did, you cannot just charge more than what you agreed on with the client.

4. As to whether it is a good idea to do the proofreading, well, if she accepts your proofreading rate, you may actually find out the truth (that is, did she split the job into 5 "test translations" and had you finish the puzzle, or did she really translate the rest herself). However, given the suspicious circumstances, I would include an additional condition for doing the proofreading: immediate payment for the "test" you already completed.

Katalin
Collapse

Alexandra Cox (X)
Alexandra Cox (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Katalin, thanks Sep 23, 2010

... Yes, I thought it was a bit much for a test, but I was led to believe it was the end client's requirement... and sometimes end clients have no idea, as it were... I do agree that I had offered a very low rate (quiet times, desperate for any work! Not good, though - for anyone in this game - I know....). It's a bit ironic that I've had seven years of working in good faith with clients, with only one or two relatively minor problems, and it's taken me this long to be "had" in this way.... We l... See more
... Yes, I thought it was a bit much for a test, but I was led to believe it was the end client's requirement... and sometimes end clients have no idea, as it were... I do agree that I had offered a very low rate (quiet times, desperate for any work! Not good, though - for anyone in this game - I know....). It's a bit ironic that I've had seven years of working in good faith with clients, with only one or two relatively minor problems, and it's taken me this long to be "had" in this way.... We live and learn.

Thanks so much, everybody!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of mind by potential new client

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »