Alexandra Cox (X)
Alexandra Cox (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:24
French to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2010

Hello there,

Over the weekend I did a German - English test translation (about 2000 words) for a potential new client as she doesn't know me yet. The requirement was Trados and an uncleaned file with TM of course. I did the test, having agreed a price (150 Euros). After the test I would have received the full 10 000-odd word report to translate.

Today she sent me a message saying that another job had been cancelled on her and so she's decided to do the translation herse
... See more
Hello there,

Over the weekend I did a German - English test translation (about 2000 words) for a potential new client as she doesn't know me yet. The requirement was Trados and an uncleaned file with TM of course. I did the test, having agreed a price (150 Euros). After the test I would have received the full 10 000-odd word report to translate.

Today she sent me a message saying that another job had been cancelled on her and so she's decided to do the translation herself. She asked me what my conditions are for proofreading. As she's a German native speaker, presumably she'd be wanting me to check her own translation of the text I would have done.

I feel disappointed and cheated and I am wondering if I am justified in doubling my invoice to her for the test to 300 Euros (I wouldn't be interested in checking her work as I do believe in translation by native speakers). What do people think? Doubling the invoice was my initial impulse, but maybe there is a more satisfactory way of resolving this. I am not happy with the situation as it stands and am reluctant to write the invoice for € 150 and leave her to do the translation...)

Thanks a lot for letting me know what you think!

Alexandra
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Any legal obligation? Sep 22, 2010

Did this person have any legal obligation to provide this work to you? Was there any contract to that effect? It sure does not look like it. €150 sounds like a reasonable price for the test, and you have no reason to feel disappointed and cheated or to ask for more. She is completely within her rights changing her mind and keeping the translation to do herself. She is also nice enough to consider you for proofing and now you even spurn that. Forget it.

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, and of course... Sep 22, 2010

.. she's got the work I did so far as a reference. I don't know whether to think she deliberately cheated me, or what...

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henry... Sep 22, 2010

.. I really appreciate your reply. I knew I needed to cool off! I haven't replied to her yet... (there's my objection to non-native speakers doing the job in there as well, but I know that's another thing). Thanks very much

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's got me thinking about contracts / POs as well... Sep 22, 2010

... which haven't been my practice so far. For investigation.. thanks again!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A learning experience Sep 22, 2010

I hope this does not sound a bit blunt, but unfortunately you were a bit naïve, especially as this was for a new customer.

In case it was a paid test at a reduced discount linked to a bigger job, you should have asked for some kind of document (a preliminary PO, a letter of intention...), not just an email, stating that you would be assigned the bigger job if the test was successful. Only with such a document would I offer a discounted price for a test translation.

Inv
... See more
I hope this does not sound a bit blunt, but unfortunately you were a bit naïve, especially as this was for a new customer.

In case it was a paid test at a reduced discount linked to a bigger job, you should have asked for some kind of document (a preliminary PO, a letter of intention...), not just an email, stating that you would be assigned the bigger job if the test was successful. Only with such a document would I offer a discounted price for a test translation.

Invoice your Eur 150, move ahead, and learn from the experience!
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice? Sep 22, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:
She is also nice enough to consider you for proofing and now you even spurn that. Forget it.

I disagree with "nice enough" in this case. This person is offering Alexandra to do the proofreading because she's not 100% sure that she will hit the nail with her translation with the same success as the test translation.

Personally I would not do the proofreading for this person. If she wants to do the job... let her be responsible of it in full.

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks too, Tomás... Sep 22, 2010

.. in the name of keeping on good terms with somebody who could, after all, turn into a new client, I'll move on as you suggest - and perhaps "up" my proofreading rate as it could be a more time-consuming task as she's a non-native-speaker... Maybe she cheated me deliberately, maybe she didn't...

This is definitely a very useful experience for me and I will require more formal agreements in the future.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Makes sense! Sep 22, 2010

Alexandra Cox wrote:
.. in the name of keeping on good terms with somebody who could, after all, turn into a new client, I'll move on as you suggest - and perhaps "up" my proofreading rate as it could be a more time-consuming task as she's a non-native-speaker...

Makes total sense to me Alexandra. Good luck with it!

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Don't see what the problem is Sep 22, 2010

Personally, I don't see what the problem is. You agreed to do a test translation for 150 euro, on the understanding that you "might" get the bigger text to do - the client did not award you the bigger text for reasons of her own, but you haven't really lost anything. Dare I suggest that perhaps she wasn't happy with your test translation but wanted to let you down gently? I'm not saying this is the case, but for whatever reason, she is within her rights. Of course, always make sure you get a... See more
Personally, I don't see what the problem is. You agreed to do a test translation for 150 euro, on the understanding that you "might" get the bigger text to do - the client did not award you the bigger text for reasons of her own, but you haven't really lost anything. Dare I suggest that perhaps she wasn't happy with your test translation but wanted to let you down gently? I'm not saying this is the case, but for whatever reason, she is within her rights. Of course, always make sure you get a PO or written/emailed confirmation before starting a job, but I am presuming there was no confirmation (for the bigger job) in the case. All you can do is bill her for the test. You win some you lose some, and if the quality of your translation is good, the client will probably keep your name on record and contact you again in futureCollapse

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fiona- indeed... Sep 22, 2010

... and yes, she was very happy with my translation.

In the end, I've let her know that I will invoice her the 150 euros, and will ask her for a higher proofreading rate than normal if she wants me to do that. (It's the fact that I did the initial work for her that's annoying...)

Thanks, all, once again... VERY much appreciated.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:24
Russian to English
+ ...
I wonder... Sep 22, 2010

Does anyone find it suspicious that the her client asked for an unusually large test (2000 words!) while insisting on Trados, and an uncleaned file? It makes me wonder how many other people she sent 2000 words to as a test to be done at a discounted rate. It doesn't pass the "smell test." I don't think I would agree to proofread it.

Alexandra Cox (X)
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yup, James... Sep 22, 2010

.. that's why I smelled a rat if she's honest after all, she'll pay me the higher rate to do her proofreading... if she's not, then she's obliged to pay the invoiced 150, I'll hear no more of her, and I'll have learned a lesson

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It still is suspicious Sep 22, 2010

James McVay wrote:

Does anyone find it suspicious that the her client asked for an unusually large test (2000 words!) while insisting on Trados, and an uncleaned file? It makes me wonder how many other people she sent 2000 words to as a test to be done at a discounted rate. It doesn't pass the "smell test." I don't think I would agree to proofread it.

I'm still is a bit suspicious, but it was a paid test after all and some outsourcers want to test our ability to produce an uncleaned file and a Trados TM (that's were I normally have to negotiate a bit). It's up to us whether we want to accept such a test. Looking back, Alexandra has been had in the fairest way possible.

Cheers,
Gerard

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:24
English to Thai
+ ...
A series of test translation? Sep 23, 2010

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I'm still is a bit suspicious, but it was a paid test after all and some outsourcers want to test our ability to produce an uncleaned file and a Trados TM (that's were I normally have to negotiate a bit). It's up to us whether we want to accept such a test. Looking back, Alexandra has been had in the fairest way possible.

In many years, trick of big test translations being compiled into a low quality, and low cost, translated document is used by certain clients. It is hardly heard these days, however.

For me, I do 200-word maximum test if I have free time and I enjoy the contexts, not in expectation of a big job.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of mind by potential new client

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »