Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Google Translate: The New Plague
Thread poster: jmleger
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:50
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Dec 8, 2010

jmleger wrote:

First off, i don't think there are comments from 9000 people on our blueboard. Hyperbole should be used with a delicate touch lest it hurts people. You will note also that the vast majority of the comments posted about us by translators are elogious. We treat people right, they respond in kind. All is normal. Occasionnally, we take someone who has sabotaged a job to task, and they respond by posting a nasty comment, so be it. At other times people who feel they are entitled to be our one and sole translator for a language are displeased that we think otherwise. They punish us by doing the same thing as the previous ones. Again, so be it. If the bell curve is the norm in any endeavor we are way ahead of it. We seek new translators all the time because out clients are very diverse and we seek the best persons in the field (the best we can afford, admittedly). However, we do have translators in each language who deal with all the copy from one (or several) client(s), because they turned out to be a good fit and we don't want to upset that apple cart. Believe it or not, we actually like to have our habitués. I hope this puts an end to the speculations about how we operate (not the topic of the thread). We are no different than any other translation agency. We have provided work for freelancers for over 30 years through thin and thick. Not a bad record considering. My initial posting was about a trend we find disturbing. There have been some really interesting contributions and I am looking forward to more of them. I am glad when I can learn new things about my profession.

what about responding to my first comment, which wasn't off topic?

jmleger
jmleger  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your first comment, Giovanni Dec 8, 2010

Frankly, I truly think that a great translation is a human translation. A GT-aided translation is a Frankentrans in my mind. A human translator as a unique way way of framing his/her thought. You can feel the personality of a translator through his words. I can recognize the style of my habitual translators in those languages I edit. Besides that, editing a bad GT translation will take more time, for a dubious result, than producing the translation from scratch (don't think I have not tried it).... See more
Frankly, I truly think that a great translation is a human translation. A GT-aided translation is a Frankentrans in my mind. A human translator as a unique way way of framing his/her thought. You can feel the personality of a translator through his words. I can recognize the style of my habitual translators in those languages I edit. Besides that, editing a bad GT translation will take more time, for a dubious result, than producing the translation from scratch (don't think I have not tried it). And there is the ultimate question of confidentiality. When I contract with you, i mean for things to stay between you and I . If you are going to part with the material in my care, I want to know why and how. There is a chain of custody in place. I take this as an ethical given although i probably should not. More food for thought i guess.Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted the hidden post.
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:50
French to German
+ ...
So - back on track... Dec 8, 2010

My question is basically the following: have you identified trends and/or circumstances which will lead subcontracted translators to use GT instead of performing the job themselves?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted from the hidden post.
Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
I could not agree more! Dec 8, 2010

Robert Forstag wrote:

...for any outsourcer that typically posts jobs offering between one-fourth and one-third of the going rate for translations in given language pairs. What comes to my mind is reaping what one sows and receiving one's just deserts and I find myself strangely bereft of sympathy....

My thoughts exactly! I know that reputable translators, who are working for serious rates, would never pull off a stunt like that.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The post has not been edited after 5 days.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate: The New Plague

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »