WF 2.3 TM lookup problem in table format
Thread poster: pcovs
pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 13:48
English to Danish
Mar 14, 2010

When I try to use the shortcut CTRL+Shift+T to make a term lookup, nothing happens, but if I first click CRTL+T, a dialogue appears to let me know I should make a selection first, and if I click okay and repeat the term lookup (CTRL+Shift+T), it now works.

Is this a bug, or am I simply missing something here?

And, if I want to look up a specific word, I need to mark the source word, but then I have to click in the source field (in the table format) to do this, and after
... See more
When I try to use the shortcut CTRL+Shift+T to make a term lookup, nothing happens, but if I first click CRTL+T, a dialogue appears to let me know I should make a selection first, and if I click okay and repeat the term lookup (CTRL+Shift+T), it now works.

Is this a bug, or am I simply missing something here?

And, if I want to look up a specific word, I need to mark the source word, but then I have to click in the source field (in the table format) to do this, and afterwards I have to click in the target field to continue. Is there a simpler way to switch between the columns?

I would rather not switch to the text format to be able to do this.

[Edited at 2010-03-14 08:42 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:48
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Known issue Mar 14, 2010

What you describe is a known issue, as you can see by visiting the Wordfast site and checking the list of known issues. It is most astonishing that if you compare this list with the list of bug fixes, you'll see that the former list (the one with the persisting issues) is larger than the latter. Instead of reducing bugs they introduce new ones and the list grows bigger and bigger…

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Any ideas? Mar 14, 2010

Now I have noticed how the TM lookup function actually does work, but only if the target field is NOT empty, and then the TM lookup will search for the target word(s) that are already in the target field.

This does not make much sense to me, as I would need to look for the source words, but this way I will have to type the source word, I wish to look up, into the target field, hit CTRL+Shift+T, pick my translation, overwrite the source word in the target field, and then I'm done?... See more
Now I have noticed how the TM lookup function actually does work, but only if the target field is NOT empty, and then the TM lookup will search for the target word(s) that are already in the target field.

This does not make much sense to me, as I would need to look for the source words, but this way I will have to type the source word, I wish to look up, into the target field, hit CTRL+Shift+T, pick my translation, overwrite the source word in the target field, and then I'm done?

Or, I should click in the source field, hit CTRL+Shift+T, finde my translation, click in the target field, type in my translation, and I'm done? (Or, obviously I could just as "easily" type in the words I wish to look up in the search field below the translation area and simply hit the 'source' or 'target' button.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Double-click to unlock the Source cell Mar 14, 2010

TM Lookup in Wordfast Pro can help you make better use of translation units already stored in the TM. In Wordfast Pro, you can select a word or phrase from the source/target text and press Ctrl+Shirt+T. To search a word/phrase from the Source cell (in Table View), you need to double click he Source cell first to unlock it.

Otherwise, you can type the word/phrase in the Lookup TM textbox and click on "Find in Source" or "Find in Target" button; you can use quotes to search for the ex
... See more
TM Lookup in Wordfast Pro can help you make better use of translation units already stored in the TM. In Wordfast Pro, you can select a word or phrase from the source/target text and press Ctrl+Shirt+T. To search a word/phrase from the Source cell (in Table View), you need to double click he Source cell first to unlock it.

Otherwise, you can type the word/phrase in the Lookup TM textbox and click on "Find in Source" or "Find in Target" button; you can use quotes to search for the exact phrase. A list of results appears in the TM Lookup pane. You can select the result you like and press Ctrl+Alt+M to insert it into the target cell. Also, you can simply copy just a part of the result after double-clicking it.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2010-03-15 07:03 GMT]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I get it Mar 14, 2010

But I find it rather inconvenient that I can only use the shortcut CTRL+Shift+T to search for a word already in the target field - it makes much more sense to be able to hit this shortcut to look up a source word without having to use the mouse to click in the source field first, then make the TM lookup, and then click in the target field again.

This process is not practical, and it's time consuming.

The new version of Pro now has two buttons for TM lookup, one for targ
... See more
But I find it rather inconvenient that I can only use the shortcut CTRL+Shift+T to search for a word already in the target field - it makes much more sense to be able to hit this shortcut to look up a source word without having to use the mouse to click in the source field first, then make the TM lookup, and then click in the target field again.

This process is not practical, and it's time consuming.

The new version of Pro now has two buttons for TM lookup, one for target and one for source.
Would it then not be an idea to make another shortcut, e.g. [CTRL+Shift+S] to make the user able to look up the source string of words without having to go through any number of mouse clicks either to the source field or to the search box below?
This would be so convenient and time saving ;o)
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
No Mar 15, 2010

PCovs wrote:

I do not want it to seem confusing, please read my post again.

To search a source word double-click the source, select the source word and press Ctrl+Shirt+T.

To search a target word, select the target word and press Ctrl+Shirt+T.

I suppose that you are using the latest version of Wordfast Pro released last week, right?

Please try again and if it does not work like this, please send me the Translation Memory file and the TXML file.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
You misunderstand, I'm afraid Mar 15, 2010

I do know that I can click and make the search, but that is exactly what makes it inconvenient for me - to search for a source word, I need to remove my hands from the keyboard to click in the source field, select a word and THEN use the shortcut to make the search.

It would be just as easy to simply remove my hands from the keyboard to click in the search field, type in the word and hit one of the radio buttons to search for either source or target text.

This makes the
... See more
I do know that I can click and make the search, but that is exactly what makes it inconvenient for me - to search for a source word, I need to remove my hands from the keyboard to click in the source field, select a word and THEN use the shortcut to make the search.

It would be just as easy to simply remove my hands from the keyboard to click in the search field, type in the word and hit one of the radio buttons to search for either source or target text.

This makes the shortcut more or less useless, IMO, because it should make things easy = I would not need to take my hands away from the keyboard to perform this search.

And yes, I am using WF 2.3 as stated.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Got it! Mar 15, 2010

PCovs wrote:

Dear PCovs,

I got it now. Many thanks for your feedback!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF 2.3 TM lookup problem in table format

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »