Thread poster: Sergey Shutemov (X)
Sergey Shutemov (X)
Sergey Shutemov (X)
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:38
English to Russian
Jan 20, 2005

Hello to everybody,
First of all I want to thank Graciela Carlyle and Gerard de Noord who helped me to solve my previous problem. I have another one: when I start to translate with Word Fast a cell in Excel with a lot of text in it, only part of the original text remains, about 1000 symbols of it, the rest simply disappears. That is, I start to translate and move down segment by segment until WF skips to the next cell but it skips too soon, only after about 1000 symbols and when I look b
... See more
Hello to everybody,
First of all I want to thank Graciela Carlyle and Gerard de Noord who helped me to solve my previous problem. I have another one: when I start to translate with Word Fast a cell in Excel with a lot of text in it, only part of the original text remains, about 1000 symbols of it, the rest simply disappears. That is, I start to translate and move down segment by segment until WF skips to the next cell but it skips too soon, only after about 1000 symbols and when I look back there is no trace anywhere of the missed original text. Does anyone have any ideas why?
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
yahoo group Jan 20, 2005

Hi Sergey,

I'm afraid I've no idea what might be the problem there. I don't usually translate from Excel files, but I've never heard of any limits in the number of characters in a cell to be accepted by WF.
I'd suggest you post your problem in the wordfast yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/wordfast. I'm sure there will be someone that can help.
Don't forget to mention your pla
... See more
Hi Sergey,

I'm afraid I've no idea what might be the problem there. I don't usually translate from Excel files, but I've never heard of any limits in the number of characters in a cell to be accepted by WF.
I'd suggest you post your problem in the wordfast yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/wordfast. I'm sure there will be someone that can help.
Don't forget to mention your platform and OS/Office and WF versions!

Cheers,
Grace.
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
German to English
+ ...
possible cause Jan 20, 2005

This may have to do with the version of Excel you are using or the verson (format) of the Excel file (this is just a guess). Versions of Excel before Office 2000 have relatively severe restrictions on the number of characters per cell (Excel was not originally intended to be used for large blocks of text). If you are working with an Excel file that was generated using a relatively recent version of Excel but you are using an older version of Excel, perhaps Excel automatically truncates the text... See more
This may have to do with the version of Excel you are using or the verson (format) of the Excel file (this is just a guess). Versions of Excel before Office 2000 have relatively severe restrictions on the number of characters per cell (Excel was not originally intended to be used for large blocks of text). If you are working with an Excel file that was generated using a relatively recent version of Excel but you are using an older version of Excel, perhaps Excel automatically truncates the text when the character limit is reached. This might also happen even with a newer version of Excel if the file is formated for an older version.

Once again, this is all speculation, and I agree that you should should look for an answer on the WordFast forum (although I must say that when I visited the site it was so cluttered with nerdy and arcane discussions of features and implementation details that it was difficult to find anything useful for ordinary users, but other prozians have apparently found it helpful for dealing with problems).

In any case, one workaround would be to select an entire Excel worksheet or a subset of it, copy it, and paste it into a blank Word document, where it will appear as a table. After you have finished the translation, you can select and copy the table and paste it back into the original worksheet cells, although you might have problems with text being truncated when you do this if the Excel file or program version won't accept enough characters per cell to accomodate the text.

Good luck!
Collapse

Sergey Shutemov (X)
Sergey Shutemov (X)
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:38
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
as you said, it is not a WordFast problem Jan 21, 2005

thank you, as Kenneth Cox said it is not a Word Fast problem, but Excel-related. And indeed, I have a pretty old version of Excell. When I copy and paste into Word a cell with a large block of text in it, the text is truncated. But when I copy and paste the text itself, everything's OK.

I'll try to get a newer version and see how it behaves.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing source text when translating with Word Fast in Excel

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »