Pargeo
Pargeo
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

Hello,

Based on my very short experience with WFP (I have only used WFC before) I noticed that the treatment of 'hanging bullets' (dashes and like) and manual paragraph numbers (NUMBER + dot + space) in WFC and WFP is different - while WFC automatically removes all dashes and paragraph numbers (number+dot+space) from the segmentation, WFP insists on including them into the segments, unless I specifically mark them as hidden text. Is there any way to instruct WFP to do this automatic
... See more
Hello,

Based on my very short experience with WFP (I have only used WFC before) I noticed that the treatment of 'hanging bullets' (dashes and like) and manual paragraph numbers (NUMBER + dot + space) in WFC and WFP is different - while WFC automatically removes all dashes and paragraph numbers (number+dot+space) from the segmentation, WFP insists on including them into the segments, unless I specifically mark them as hidden text. Is there any way to instruct WFP to do this automatically?
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:48
Member (2006)
French to English
Source formatting problem Aug 21, 2015

Dear Pargeo,

I think the problem lies with the source text formatting. It is not formatted as a bulleted or numbered list (in which case Wordfast does not pull them into the segment) but rather a number or bullet followed by a TAB key or a couple of spaces. This usually happens with PDF files that have been converted to Word or when an inexperienced MS-Word user creates the source document (even though nowadays Word auto-corrects your formatting when you start making lists).
<
... See more
Dear Pargeo,

I think the problem lies with the source text formatting. It is not formatted as a bulleted or numbered list (in which case Wordfast does not pull them into the segment) but rather a number or bullet followed by a TAB key or a couple of spaces. This usually happens with PDF files that have been converted to Word or when an inexperienced MS-Word user creates the source document (even though nowadays Word auto-corrects your formatting when you start making lists).

Now, there might be a way to "tell" Wordfast to exclude from segmentation bullets and numbers followed by a TAB or one or two spaces if they are at the beginning of a segment. I'll report this issue to the developers.

Hope this helps!

John
Collapse

Pargeo
Pargeo
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:48
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish all documents I translate were properly formatted, but that's not true Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for the reply, John.

Just a quick comment - I wish all documents I receive in my translator's practice were formatted properly, but unfortunately 90% of documents I translate are like this - where dashes and numbers inserted manually are used and this is especially true for the documents I need Wordfast Pro (PPTs, XLSs and like) where I cannot even mark these as hidden text (no hidden text at all either in PowerPoint or Excel) and such numbered paragraphs, especially in legal
... See more
Thanks for the reply, John.

Just a quick comment - I wish all documents I receive in my translator's practice were formatted properly, but unfortunately 90% of documents I translate are like this - where dashes and numbers inserted manually are used and this is especially true for the documents I need Wordfast Pro (PPTs, XLSs and like) where I cannot even mark these as hidden text (no hidden text at all either in PowerPoint or Excel) and such numbered paragraphs, especially in legal documents, are plenty and can really clutter my TMs.
If I hadn't had this functionality in WFC, I probably wouldn't have asked for it, but since WFC understands how to exclude the initial numbers and dashes from segmentation (I wish it understood more bullets and number formats automatically, but it's ok), I don't like to lose a function I already had in another version of Wordfast.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Hanging bullets' in WFP3

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »