(WFP 5) Japanese-specific characters
Thread poster: mlts
mlts
mlts
Japan
May 11, 2018

Hi all,

I'm doing translation between Japanese and English. Some Japanese-specific characters appear as Chinese ones on WFP. After a translated document is cleaned up as a Word file, they are all correct characters, but I want to make sure that characters I'm using are correct as I am translating.

I tried other fonts through the Preference function, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'd very much appreciate your input.

Many thanks.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And what is the difference? May 11, 2018

Given the fact that the modern Japanese script is basically Chinese plus kana, you should probably explain the problem in more detail. Anyway, try changing the editor pane font.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:26
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Really? May 11, 2018

esperantisto wrote:
Given the fact that the modern Japanese script is basically Chinese plus kana, you should probably explain the problem in more detail. Anyway, try changing the editor pane font.

I must admit, as a student of Japanese, that this purported fact had passed me by. To which "Chinese" do you refer?

Regards,
Dan Lucas

mlts
mlts
Japan
TOPIC STARTER
Japanese-specific characters May 15, 2018

Here're some examples.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Japanese-Kanji-the-same-as-Chinese-writing

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Be specific May 15, 2018

Instead of giving a link to some forum discussion, you’d better be specific about your specific problem. Such references may be interesting and educating, but they don’t provide any clue to your technical problem. Each glyph, should it be Chinese-specific or Japanese-specific, has its own Unicode encoding (for example, 国 and 國 are two different glyphs in spite of conveying essentially the same meaning), so, it’s hard to understand what ... See more
Instead of giving a link to some forum discussion, you’d better be specific about your specific problem. Such references may be interesting and educating, but they don’t provide any clue to your technical problem. Each glyph, should it be Chinese-specific or Japanese-specific, has its own Unicode encoding (for example, 国 and 國 are two different glyphs in spite of conveying essentially the same meaning), so, it’s hard to understand what happens in your case. Try asking a smart question.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(WFP 5) Japanese-specific characters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »