Currently translating a text and have received a similar(ish) one - how to give a quote?
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2018

I'd appreciate a bit of help with quoting for a translation using Wordfast Classic.

I'm about halfway through translating a fairly long text. Now that client has sent a second one that seems to have a lot of similarities. It's for the same project. The client wants an idea of when I'll be able to deliver the second translation - he's not too fussed about cost; more about getting it asap. Is there any way I can get Wordfast to tell me how similar this text is to the one I'm already w
... See more
I'd appreciate a bit of help with quoting for a translation using Wordfast Classic.

I'm about halfway through translating a fairly long text. Now that client has sent a second one that seems to have a lot of similarities. It's for the same project. The client wants an idea of when I'll be able to deliver the second translation - he's not too fussed about cost; more about getting it asap. Is there any way I can get Wordfast to tell me how similar this text is to the one I'm already working on? I can't figure out a way to analyse the second text taking account of the segments in the first text that aren't yet in the TM.

I hope that makes sense and someone has a solution. Maybe the best I can do is a WORD compare of the source texts?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
No quote Jul 24, 2018

Just charge the same as for the first one, and tell the client you'll deliver ASAP. I wouldn't waste any time "analysing" or estimating. Just get the job done. If you feel a discount is merited at the end of the day, you can always give them a rebate. At least, that's my modus operandi.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If only it were that simple :) Jul 24, 2018

neilmac wrote:
Just charge the same as for the first one, and tell the client you'll deliver ASAP. I wouldn't waste any time "analysing" or estimating. Just get the job done. If you feel a discount is merited at the end of the day, you can always give them a rebate. At least, that's my modus operandi.

I'd love to do that, neilmac. I always decide for myself what discount to give him anyway, so that would present no problem. He's a regular client and isn't actually asking about the price.

The problem is that he wants it by Friday, at exactly the same time as the first one. And another client wants 240 pages of English proofread for then too. I simply don't know how I'm going to fit it in if it's predominantly new words. OTOH, if it's pretty much a rehash of the first one then I might be able to do it in a fraction of the time.

He's going to get charged a rush rate, that's for sure! But I don't want to promise what I can't deliver. I'm too old to burn the midnight oil (for a client, anyway ).

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Wiki - Tools Wordfast Classic Jul 24, 2018

Hi Sheila,

I am not a user of Wordfast Classic but searching a bit I found this on https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Tools_Wordfast_Classic#Analyse

Repetitions

Repetitions : this term refers to repetitions found within the document(s) that was/were analyzed (this does not concern the translation memory). For example, if a same sentence (segme
... See more
Hi Sheila,

I am not a user of Wordfast Classic but searching a bit I found this on https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Tools_Wordfast_Classic#Analyse

Repetitions

Repetitions : this term refers to repetitions found within the document(s) that was/were analyzed (this does not concern the translation memory). For example, if a same sentence (segment) appears 3 times in the set of analyzed documents, the repetition counter will show 2 repetitions.

Maybe this can be useful.

Andrea
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Compare 2 files Jul 24, 2018

In MS Office (at least for Mac) you can compare two versions of a document to see how they differ.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/compare-and-merge-two-versions-of-a-document-f5059749-a797-4db7-a8fb-b3b27eb8b87e

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
The segments need not to be in the TM already Jul 24, 2018

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I can't figure out a way to analyse the second text taking account of the segments in the first text that aren't yet in the TM.

I hope that makes sense and someone has a solution. Maybe the best I can do is a WORD compare of the source texts?

In Wf Classic, click on Tools, then Analyse and have the two documents analysed.
Wordfast will tell yo how similar they are, that's all:-) It will compare it of course with a TM, but you can use for that whatever TM you want.

I forgot to mention that the documents must not have been segmented yet, so use the original of the first document (before segmentation).

HTH

[Bearbeitet am 2018-07-24 16:51 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sheila and @Christel Jul 24, 2018

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Is there any way I can get Wordfast to tell me how similar this text is to the one I'm already working on?

Take the old version and do an "extract" on it. Then convert the extract to a table (one column). Then copy the column and then paste it as a second column. Then use PlusTools to create a translation memory from that table. In other words, you end up with a source=target TM with all segments of the old version. Then, analyse the new version against the TM that you created from the old version.

Christel Zipfel wrote:
In Wf Classic, click on Tools, then Analyse and have the two documents analysed. Wordfast will tell yo how similar they are, that's all:-)

I tried this, but it doesn't work. I tested it with two very similar documents that should have yielded many fuzzy matches (against an empty TM), but the analysis did not report any fuzzy matches.

[Edited at 2018-07-24 20:52 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jul 25, 2018

I tried a few of those but it soon became clear that although the subject matter was the same, the second text was actually worded entirely differently. So it would have mainly been fuzzy matches and zero matches, i.e. no vast time saving. I just don't have the time so reluctantly had to turn the client down. Hopefully he'll be understanding as I'd already said the first text was tight for a Friday delivery!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Currently translating a text and have received a similar(ish) one - how to give a quote?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »