Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 01:15
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 24, 2018

Hi

I just updated from WFP3, and I'm having a hard time getting used to how stuff works, heh.

For now, here are a few problems I'm having with the auto-suggest feature:

1) Terms that are in my glossary are showing up, but at the bottom of a list that first includes them capped, along with what appear to be TM sub-segments -- also capped. This despite the fact those words aren't capped in the original TM sub-segments or in the MT. In the end, the term I act
... See more
Hi

I just updated from WFP3, and I'm having a hard time getting used to how stuff works, heh.

For now, here are a few problems I'm having with the auto-suggest feature:

1) Terms that are in my glossary are showing up, but at the bottom of a list that first includes them capped, along with what appear to be TM sub-segments -- also capped. This despite the fact those words aren't capped in the original TM sub-segments or in the MT. In the end, the term I actually want is the very last one in the list

2) The auto-suggest doesn't seem to recognize when there's more than 1 word in a glossary entry. E.g., "plat cuisiné" --> "ready meal". If I place the cursor between "ready" and "meal," and if I start typing "meal" nothing shows up. That seems a dumb step backwards from wfp 3?

3) Auto-suggest doesn't seem to work for numbers in the source text. Apparently, it should? https://wordfast.com/WFP/5.5/Wordfast_Pro_Help.htm But it doesn't appear in the list of things you can enable auto-suggestion for under preferences.

I wish I could post screenshots, but I can't figure out if that's possible here?

Any help would be much appreciated
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:15
French to English
+ ...
Similar problems Aug 25, 2018

I've had similar problems and think that in many ways WFP3 was better than WFP5. I'm still in two minds over whether to ditch WFP5 and go back to WFP3. One of the worst steps backwards with the new version is that the TMs and glossaries seem to be inaccessible for consultation or editing unless you open them from within a project. While there are advantages to having glossary matches showing in a column below the segmented text, like the ease of editing and deleting glossary entries, if you just... See more
I've had similar problems and think that in many ways WFP3 was better than WFP5. I'm still in two minds over whether to ditch WFP5 and go back to WFP3. One of the worst steps backwards with the new version is that the TMs and glossaries seem to be inaccessible for consultation or editing unless you open them from within a project. While there are advantages to having glossary matches showing in a column below the segmented text, like the ease of editing and deleting glossary entries, if you just want to pick and use a glossary term it's clunkier.

Not being able to arrange the priority order of TMs and glossaries is a major loss and not only is that not offset by being able to leverage more TMs and glossaries, its even worse when the the most important TMs or glossaries for a particular translation end up at the bottom of the list and there's nothing you can do to change that except remove the less important, but still useful, TMs etc.

The new version is generally more opaque and less flexible and it's harder to use it alongside WF Classic. I've also found that towards the end of a translation the words remaining display at the bottom right has shown 0 words remaining, when I actually had several segments left to translate. I've also had the opposite problem of the display showing that I have a number of words not yet translated, when that is not the case. If there really are some segments still in yellow because they were autofilled and I wanted to accept them but only pressed ALT-Down instead of verifying them, the loss of the old list of segments means I have to scroll through the entire file to find them and verify them.
Collapse

Shenice Parkyn

Samuel Keating
Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 01:15
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Late adopter Aug 26, 2018

It's disappointing as I'd waited this long before upgrading precisely to let some of these dumb issues get sorted out. I'd tried WF4 as soon as it came out, and that cured me

But this hasn't really been the exciting voyage of discovery and increased productivity I hoped

Edit: I p
... See more
It's disappointing as I'd waited this long before upgrading precisely to let some of these dumb issues get sorted out. I'd tried WF4 as soon as it came out, and that cured me

But this hasn't really been the exciting voyage of discovery and increased productivity I hoped

Edit: I posted screenshots here: https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/325654-auto_suggest_on_wordfast_5.html#2748199

[Edited at 2018-08-26 19:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5.5 autosuggest problems

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »