Thread poster: Paul Sinfield
Paul Sinfield
Paul Sinfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:23
French to English
Jan 11, 2022

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm missing a setting... I worked on a large project for a client that (very patiently) sent me a txlf file (generated in Trados) as Wordfast wasn't extracting the text from charts in PowerPoint.

A second project, again with plenty of similar charts has come up and I was wondering if I'm missing a setting?

I'm using the Mac (Monterey 12.1) version of Wordfast Pro 6.6.0

Thanks in advance

... See more
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm missing a setting... I worked on a large project for a client that (very patiently) sent me a txlf file (generated in Trados) as Wordfast wasn't extracting the text from charts in PowerPoint.

A second project, again with plenty of similar charts has come up and I was wondering if I'm missing a setting?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doesn't seem to be possible Jan 12, 2022

Paul Sinfield wrote:
...Wordfast wasn't extracting the text from charts in PowerPoint.

I tried opening this file:
https://www.learningcontainer.com/download/sample-powerpoint-presentation/
in WFP 6 on Windows.

I tried several times with different filter settings, each time creating a new project to make sure the setting is applied. You can find the filter settings here:

Capture-1

I could not get WFP6 to extract the text from the graphs. WFP3 couldn't do it either. Both Trados and MemoQ were able to do it.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
File formats, detailed level in documentation Jan 12, 2022

If you take a look at SDL Studio, you can find out exactly what versions of PowerPoint are supported.

For Wordfast, that level of detail does not seem to be available. There is a generic PowerPoint.

PowerPoint is not made, unfortunately, with translation in mind. The risk for trouble is significant, including as to the counted number of words.

Paul Sinfield

Paul Sinfield
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 12, 2022

Thanks very much Samuel - you went to such great lengths!

Samuel Murray wrote:

Paul Sinfield wrote:
...Wordfast wasn't extracting the text from charts in PowerPoint.

I tried opening this file:
https://www.learningcontainer.com/download/sample-powerpoint-presentation/
in WFP 6 on Windows.

I tried several times with different filter settings, each time creating a new project to make sure the setting is applied. You can find the filter settings here:

Capture-1

I could not get WFP6 to extract the text from the graphs. WFP3 couldn't do it either. Both Trados and MemoQ were able to do it.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Embedded XML? Jan 12, 2022

Perhaps you can edit this file:

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.34.47

[Edited at 2022-01-12 09:37 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
The Unarchiver Jan 12, 2022

I tried to change the PPTX extension to ZIP but the default Mac Archiver Utility would not unzip it.

I was able to use The Unarchiver to unzip it. I would translate the Excel and re-embed it in the translated PPTX file.

Best,
John

Paul Sinfield
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... Jan 12, 2022

I don't know what the unarchiver is - if I'd need to do this chart by chart, not an option as there are hundreds of charts!

Thanks for the input but I've requested the txlf file from my client again and will need to look into alternatives for the future.

Paul

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
The Unarchiver Jan 12, 2022

I don't know what the unarchiver is

https://www.google.com/search?q="the%20unarchiver"

Other tools handle embedded files like this. Unfortunately, Wordfast Pro does not (for now).

Best,
John

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
I'd ask the client to... Jan 12, 2022

...send me all necessary Excel files (or selected sheets only) as they are indispensable attachments to the PP file. That simple. No need to look for workarounds.

HTH

[Modifié le 2022-01-13 00:13 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Indeed Jan 12, 2022

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:
I'd ask the client to send me all necessary Excel files (or selected sheets only) as they are indispensable attachments to the PP file. That simple. No need to look for workarounds.

Yes, I agree: if a PPTX file contains embedded content, ask the client to send those embedded files to you separately, if possible. The client may not have the embedded content with him separately, though.

Unzipping the PPTX file does get you to the embedded Excel file, but if you translate that Excel file separately, it may not update the content in the PPTX file automatically (you or the client would have to edit the PPTX file and re-attach the Excel file to it).

In the sample file that I mentioned above, there is a file called "Microsoft_Office_Excel_Worksheet1.xlsx" in the "embeddings" subfolder of the "ppt" subfolder of the PPTX file. You'd have to find out (ask Google) how to unzip a PPTX file in Mac. In case you're unaware: PPTX files are zipped files, so they can be unzipped.

Changing the file extension from PPTX to e.g. ZIP can trick some recalcitrant unzipping utilities to recognize it as a file that can be unzipped. In Windows, the 7-Zip utility can unzip any zipped file without the need for renaming the file extension, but I'm not sure if 7-Zip runs on Mac. I believe there is also a version of WinZip for Mac.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Another solution suggestion Jan 13, 2022

In case the client only has screenshots, paper printouts, or PDF files with Excel sheets, I'd extract the necessary text using an OCR software as available (FineReader in my case).

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting text from Excel charts displayed in PowerPoint

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »