Thread poster: peaeigler
peaeigler
peaeigler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
English to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2002

Hi all, can anybody tell me about their experiences with Wordfast? How do you rate it, and is it suitable for multi-lingual projects?

Thanks!

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
French to German
+ ...
CAT Tool center Oct 16, 2002

Links... da sind viele Berichte über Wordfast und andere Programme.

Ich benutze es selber seit ca. 2 Monaten, für 4 verschiedene Sprachenpaare. Ist ähnlich wie Metatexis, das ich auch benutze, auch ähnlich dem, was ich von Trados kenne.

Seit 4 oder 5 Tagen arbeite ich mit SDLX (Trial-Version 30 Tage unbeschränkt nutzbar) und bin sehr angetan, finde ich wesentlich benutzerfreundlicher und angenehmer.

Viele Grüße

Geneviève

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Takes a little getting used to... Oct 17, 2002

Word fast is pretty simple, but it takes a little getting used to. It automatically breaks up documents into small translatable segments, and you work from there.

If you use it for a long time, then you build up a translation database from which new translation projects will automatically be translated. For each segment, it gives you a comparison value between 0 and 100 which indicates the accuracy of the automatic translation. When you edit the segment, it updates the data
... See more
Word fast is pretty simple, but it takes a little getting used to. It automatically breaks up documents into small translatable segments, and you work from there.

If you use it for a long time, then you build up a translation database from which new translation projects will automatically be translated. For each segment, it gives you a comparison value between 0 and 100 which indicates the accuracy of the automatic translation. When you edit the segment, it updates the database to indicate a new combination of words.

You have to use it for a while or use it on projects where you know the terminology will be similar (like contractual agreements) in order to see the benefits. That\'s my only guess why company\'s needing translation want that people have Trados and have used it in professional projects for 3 to 5 years or so. This is because they estimate that if you have used a CAT tool, then you\'ll get the job done faster. We counter that by saying, \"Well... I charge by word, not by the hour\". So anyway, the good thing is that it\'s diverse, can be used for ANY language combination and you don\'t have to have a clutter of windows open like Trados. And guess what... no dongle... AND it\'s free.

It _does_ slow down word just a little, but _that_ depends on how fast your computer is.

Whatever you do... be sure to read the directions before complaining about it. It\'s only a few pages long... not like some inch thick manual where 95% of the functions described you won\'t ever use.

Happy translating!
Collapse

peaeigler
peaeigler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both very much! Oct 17, 2002

PS: Have you used it to build glossaries?

Sandra_MT
Sandra_MT
Portuguese to English
+ ...
That was very useful, crumpler Oct 17, 2002

I\'ve never used any CAT tools for my translations. I heard about Wordfast and Trados here in this site and was wondering what they were like. The good thing about Wordfast is that we can get it free, right? I\'m going to check it out. So what you said about the software was very useful to me too. Nice profile, by the way

Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast - Experience?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »