Discussion for Advanced translator skills virtual event session (2012): You are your own CEO

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for Advanced translator skills virtual event session (2012): You are your own CEO".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ahmed Badawy
Ahmed Badawy  Identity Verified
Սաուդյան Արաբիա
Local time: 21:26
անգլերենից արաբերեն
+ ...
Translator Sep 4, 2012

Thanx for approval

 
Jiri Lonsky
Jiri Lonsky  Identity Verified
Չեխիայի Հանրապետություն
Local time: 20:26
Անդամ (2011)
անգլերենից չեխերեն
+ ...
So far disappointing Sep 24, 2012

Hi you all
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that our lector is disorganized, the progress of the presentation is SLOW, and, worst of all
it is watered-down corporate speak with little relevance for a freelancer's position???


 
Jiri Lonsky
Jiri Lonsky  Identity Verified
Չեխիայի Հանրապետություն
Local time: 20:26
Անդամ (2011)
անգլերենից չեխերեն
+ ...
Is it just me? Sep 24, 2012

This seem to me an unfocused, watered down corporate speak. I am disappointed, I have expected something little more to the point... Please offer comments...

[Edited at 2012-09-24 09:46 GMT]


 
Nicole L. R.
Nicole L. R.
Իռլանդիա
Local time: 19:26
պորտուգալերեն
+ ...
Kindness Sep 24, 2012

I agree with the "slow" comment, and her presentation can definetely improve, but how about a bit of kindness?

At least she is trying to share something with the community.


 
Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Local time: 19:26
գերմաներենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Corporate speak Sep 24, 2012

I agree, Jiri, but don't let this put you off. I'm sure there are better presentations to come.

Gabriela, A common mistake is to say 'coherent' when you mean 'consistent' - it's a faux ami. Thank you.


 
Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
Հարավային Աֆրիկա
Local time: 20:26
Անդամ (2008)
գերմաներենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Inspiring presentation Sep 24, 2012

I found the presentation to be inspiring - reminding me what translation is about. I've probably been in a rut, but aren't these industry contacts supposed to remind us of a wider community out there - translating can sometimes make one feel very isolated.

 
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Պորտուգալիա
Local time: 20:26
Անդամ (2011)
անգլերենից գերմաներեն
+ ...
Good presentation Sep 24, 2012

I enjoyed taking a step back and to look in what direction I am moving.

The mentioning of "CEO" in the title should have been a big enough warning for anyone that didn't want to listen to anything resembling corporate speak - although expecations probably could have been managed better by a more detailed description of what this presentation was going to be about.

The speed and organisation of the presentation were good - with enough time to take notes and digest what
... See more
I enjoyed taking a step back and to look in what direction I am moving.

The mentioning of "CEO" in the title should have been a big enough warning for anyone that didn't want to listen to anything resembling corporate speak - although expecations probably could have been managed better by a more detailed description of what this presentation was going to be about.

The speed and organisation of the presentation were good - with enough time to take notes and digest what was being said.

Thank you, Gabriela!
▲ Collapse


 
freelancemomma
freelancemomma
Միացյալ Նահանգներ
անգլերենից պորտուգալերեն
+ ...
Good content Sep 24, 2012

Gabriela's content is very informational in my opinion, and I have enjoyed it. However, I would suggest she takes public speaking/ speech classes, since she has certain mannerisms which can be very distracting (stopping every other word with " hmm", or "huh" ); I took a speech class in College and I got the same comment. I believe it has to do with speaking English as a second language, the challenges are numerous and you just don't want to make any mistakes. Overall, the material was good!

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Այս ֆորումի մոդերատորները
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for Advanced translator skills virtual event session (2012): You are your own CEO






Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »