Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 3, 2007

More than a year ago I bought a wireless modem (ZyXEL P-660) and installed it without difficulties as internet connection to my Win2000 PC. Last spring I got a laptop with inbuilt wireless capability and I was able to use it without any trouble till now.
So I used the modem as an open connection, and both machines were able to connect to it wireless automatically.
But suddenly last week connection could not be established anymore. The machines did not even find the ZyXel modem, inste
... See more
More than a year ago I bought a wireless modem (ZyXEL P-660) and installed it without difficulties as internet connection to my Win2000 PC. Last spring I got a laptop with inbuilt wireless capability and I was able to use it without any trouble till now.
So I used the modem as an open connection, and both machines were able to connect to it wireless automatically.
But suddenly last week connection could not be established anymore. The machines did not even find the ZyXel modem, instead they find other open connections in the house. The modem's leds show, that Wlan is ok and I could connect to the net by wire.
Yesterday I bought a new modem and hoped the problem would go away.
But now the laptop finds the modem wireless, even once connected to it, but I could not get any internet connection, not even the page of the modem itself (192.168.1.1).
I have been through with all procedures the manual suggests, connected to the modem by wire and even did the OTIST procedure once, but though I was asked for the keys and all, Windows cannot connect to the ZyXel-modem in wireless mode.
I want the connection to be open, so that visitors would be able to use it without any trouble. In fact I would like everything to be as it was last year.
Any suggestions what might be the reason for this fuss?
(I'm writing this connected by wire).
I use F-Secure on my laptop and Zonealarm on my PC. I tried to switch off ZA on the PC but still cannot connect to the modem, though the Wlan-adapter led is on.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-03 08:50]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:14
English to German
+ ...
Did you change something? Jan 3, 2007

Are you aware of any changes that occured in the meantime, such as Windows patches and updates, firmware update of modem, etc.? Did you remove or install any software that might have an influence on your network connections, such as antivirus software?

I once had to give up working with my tunneling software (vpn) because after removing Norton openvpn got corrupted, and reinstalling did not work as I had already installed SP2 on WinXP, which is known to create problems with this par
... See more
Are you aware of any changes that occured in the meantime, such as Windows patches and updates, firmware update of modem, etc.? Did you remove or install any software that might have an influence on your network connections, such as antivirus software?

I once had to give up working with my tunneling software (vpn) because after removing Norton openvpn got corrupted, and reinstalling did not work as I had already installed SP2 on WinXP, which is known to create problems with this particular software version of openvpn.

In short: your problem might be multifactorial, and solving it not that easy.

Sonja
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Dunno if any help, but ... Jan 3, 2007

I've had a similar sounding problem recently with my private WLAN Fritzbox. Sometimes it disconnects itself. I wasted a lot of time trying to find what the problem was. I have found a solution - simply unplug the box, plug back in after a few seconds, and then reconnect. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it works (for me).

Good luck,
C

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
With Cilian Jan 3, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I have found a solution - simply unplug the box, plug back in after a few seconds, and then reconnect. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it works (for me).

Good luck,
C

Hello Heinrich,

About a year and a half ago, when I still lived in Berlin, I had a similar problem with my T-Com Sinus 111 (or similar name, I don't remember exactly) wireless DSL modem and router. I first blamed it on a non-working DSL line and called my provider to find out if anything was wrong. But they told me the line worked well and that the problem must be on my side, i.e. hardware-related. He advised to set the modem back to factory settings and put all the relevant data back in. That's what I did but it didn't work after that either. I called the provider again (at 0.99 EUR/min, mind you!) and asked again if they had any other idea about what might be the problem and they advised me to reset the modem to factory settings again, unplug it (from the socket, not just switching it off) for at least 5 min and then do the whole dance again (reinserting all the data, securing the network etc.). Miraculously, it worked after that and I didn't have any more problems. But: what caused the malfunction in the first place is unbeknownst to me. I have absolutely no idea. Later on I talked to a friend of mine who knows a lot about this kind of stuff about it and he said that those modems sometimes act crazy, particularly if they are already a couple of years old (mine was 2 years old). He said that he had already bought his third DSL modem in 5 years because the other two had conked out.

Well, I don't know if this is any help to you but I just wanted to share my experience when I had a similar incident. I remember very well how baffled I was when it happened because at the time, I wasn't aware that I had done anything different than usual.

Right now, I do have a working modem and the DSL connection is fine and up-to-speed but I somehow cannot manage to secure the network (WEP) because every other day the key is automatically changed (although I expressly inserted one manually) and I cannot enter my own network any longer. So, it's back to factory settings, inserting all the data again, check and uncheck various boxes and after 2-3 days I have to do the whole spiel from start again. So, at the moment I'm working with an unencrypted network until somebody who knows what they're doing is going to tell me how to fix this.

Best and toi, toi, toi
Barbara

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Both machines have the same problem Jan 3, 2007

I thought first the problem was in the laptop, but the pc does not connect either and has quite different configurations, firewall and all.
Of course I unplugged, reset and restarted everything many times. Nothing helps, only connecting by cable.
cheers
Heinrich

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried this site yet? Jan 3, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Of course I unplugged, reset and restarted everything many times. Nothing helps, only connecting by cable.

Hi Heinrich,

http://www.dslteam.de/forum/index.php

Maybe you'll find something in their forum or can make a posting yourself?

Best,
Barbara

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
reset to defaults Jan 3, 2007

I presume your modem can be reset in more ways. I had similar problem with my router some time ago. I tried to reset it by pushing the reset button for five sec (as described in a manual) - but without success so I asked a technician for help. He adviced to keep the button pressed for more than five seconds and wait for "fast blinking" of the first LED.
It helped and I hope it'll help you too.
Good luck, Jan.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm connected again (for how long?) Jan 4, 2007

At the moment at least the orange led burns and I'm connected to the Wlan-modem. I tried many times the procedures in the manual, but to no avail. Then I set my XP-system back to a week ago, when everything was fine. Nothing happend first. again I reset the modem.
Then suddenly the led went on and out and I did once again the setup for the Wlan, including a manual key for WEP.
Now I'm back, at least for a while.
Thanks for your input, friends. I was really clueless.
Cheer
... See more
At the moment at least the orange led burns and I'm connected to the Wlan-modem. I tried many times the procedures in the manual, but to no avail. Then I set my XP-system back to a week ago, when everything was fine. Nothing happend first. again I reset the modem.
Then suddenly the led went on and out and I did once again the setup for the Wlan, including a manual key for WEP.
Now I'm back, at least for a while.
Thanks for your input, friends. I was really clueless.
Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost connection to WLan

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »