Thread poster: Peter Mulvany
Peter Mulvany
Peter Mulvany
Denmark
Local time: 09:56
Swedish to Danish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2023

MemoQ has just been released in vesion 10.0 nearly four years after version 9 came out. What has inproved in your use of MemoQ after upgrading to the new version?

(I've read all the official praise for the new version, but before I invest 620 EUR I want to know how my working condition will be improved as a simple CAT user)

... See more
MemoQ has just been released in vesion 10.0 nearly four years after version 9 came out. What has inproved in your use of MemoQ after upgrading to the new version?

(I've read all the official praise for the new version, but before I invest 620 EUR I want to know how my working condition will be improved as a simple CAT user)

https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/hello-memoq-10-0
Collapse

Juvenal Neto
Peter Tamaska

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:56
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Nothing for the translator Mar 6, 2023

It's yet another release that focuses entirely on enterprise customers. The only improvement for translators seems to be the Memsource/Phrase file filter, which was long overdue. memoQ 10 is no different from version 9 if you are a translator. Version 8 or even version 2015 are still good. There is no compelling reason to upgrade.

Grigori Gazarian
Stepan Konev
Peter Mulvany
Jan Truper
Peter Tamaska
Craig Thomas Smith

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:56
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 6, 2023

...it can measure "editing distance"

(what a lame concept)

Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev
Epameinondas Soufleros
Peter Mulvany

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
You mean... Mar 7, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:

...it can measure "editing distance"

(what a lame concept)

How far we are from the screen when editing?

Jorge Payan

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TM+ seems useful Mar 7, 2023

I suppose the new TM+ translation memory format might be of some use when using large TMs, although I haven't tested yet if it makes any difference with a vey large TM attached to a project.

I found some info on TM+ @ https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/hello-memoq-10-0

"TM+

We are introducing TM+, a significantly more stable and faster tra
... See more
I suppose the new TM+ translation memory format might be of some use when using large TMs, although I haven't tested yet if it makes any difference with a vey large TM attached to a project.

I found some info on TM+ @ https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/hello-memoq-10-0

"TM+

We are introducing TM+, a significantly more stable and faster translation memory

TM+ is memoQ's new-generation translation memory engine that works better in a server environment. It offers all major TM features, and memoQ supported languages. It can handle translation memories with more than 10 million segments, and scales well with more CPU cores. Its TMX import performance is much faster than the classic TM engine's, and it is less sensitive to anti-virus program activity. TM+ is also more stable than the classic TM, as its architecture prevents corruption by design.

• Performance improvements including pretranslation, statistics, and lookup results
• Thanks to its stability, TM+ can handle larger TMs seamlessly
• TM+ is first available in memoQ 10.0, new features to be added continuously

And there is also this new feature:

"Local projects can be cloned - to get an identical, empty project"

To be fair, I do consider memoQ to be the best CAT tool at the moment, so I can forgive them for being a bit too focused on the enterprise market.

Also, they really do listen to suggestions on their memoQ Users’ Idea Portal.
Collapse

Juvenal Neto

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TM+ has a bug Mar 8, 2023

First use of TM+, first bug: I have a document with headings that start with two tags and then have the text in bold. TM+ stores them with their two first letters not bold and insists I use them like that in my translation. If I make the entire segment bold and confirm, it objects, saying that I have not used the best TM match.

So, I reverted back to regular, tried and tested TMs. There is no performance benefit at all if your TMs are stored locally, which is my case almost always.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Stable TM? Mar 8, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

We are introducing TM+, a significantly more stable and faster translation memory

How can a TM be more "stable"? Have you ever had a TM crash? What do they mean? Why don't they elaborate?

I believe it is just marketing speak. The usual recipe: Throw in a few buzzwords devoid of real meaning, along with some decimal percentages (it's always 11,2% or 12,7%, never 10% or 15%) and you'll have the suits say: "Here, take my money! Now I will be able to pay those pesky translators even less."

Granted, memoQ is feature-rich. It has the best file filters of all CAT tools, and it can handle some quite complex scenarios. But it could do things more elegantly, and it could use a lot of GUI harmonisation. Plus, many features seem to have been implemented hastily and poorly. They could focus on these aspects. Alas, the corporate 'visionaries' and 'trailblazers' that are wowed by magic quadrants and mumbo-jumbo of this kind surely are a more sizeable and reliable source of revenue. Perhaps I would do the same thing, so I shouldn't be too harsh.

[Edited at 2023-03-08 07:50 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Hans Lenting
Craig Thomas Smith

Juvenal Neto
Juvenal Neto
Brazil
Local time: 04:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Affordable upgrade price Apr 18, 2023

Peter Mulvany wrote:

(... before I invest 620 EUR I want to know how my working condition will be improved as a simple CAT user)

Well, if you already have a memo, it is enough to pay US$ 124,00 or EUR 124,00 to renew your individual license support & maintenance TP in order to be able to upgrade to the newest memoQ release.

In my case, also a "simple CAT user", I upgraded just a couple days ago from running memoQ 8.5 in a Windows 7, 32 bits machine to another one running Windows 10, 64 bits, and worked with it in a middle sized project. Up to now I noticed no remarkable improvement: I can only say memoQ is working fine as always. As for the licence upgrade price, it was more than affordable. In other words, it paid the risk.

[Editada em 2023-04-18 11:47 GMT]

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Systrans plugin? May 9, 2023

I remember having read that version 10 allows the use of Systrans in a way that it leverages the info in the TM to refine the MT results... Any experience with this?

As a side note, does Systrans work like that in SDL Studio too?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:56
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Memsource compatibility May 9, 2023

For me, a big plus is that MemoQ 10.0 is now fully compatible with Memsource mxliff files, including the View pane. I have many clients that use Memsource and I find doing the projects in MemoQ a lot better than doing them in Memsource.

[Edited at 2023-05-09 15:45 GMT]

Jose Ruivo
Tomasz Sienicki
Peter Tamaska
Craig Thomas Smith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's better in MemoQ version 10.0?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »