Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: The expression "to be full-time employed", plus rant at offensive mail from ProZ member
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 13, 2010

Hi all...
I was going to post this as a monolingual Kudoz question, but then felt I also needed to vent my frustration with an email I just received from a fellow Proz member a few minutes ago (the two issues are related)... I don't know what I'll get from posting this... maybe a moderator will tell me off, or someone can advise me on what they would do in this situation!!

Anyway, a few days ago someone made a humorous sarcastic comment on a Kudoz question (I won't tell why, s
... See more
Hi all...
I was going to post this as a monolingual Kudoz question, but then felt I also needed to vent my frustration with an email I just received from a fellow Proz member a few minutes ago (the two issues are related)... I don't know what I'll get from posting this... maybe a moderator will tell me off, or someone can advise me on what they would do in this situation!!

Anyway, a few days ago someone made a humorous sarcastic comment on a Kudoz question (I won't tell why, so as not to give it away), and I provided some added information to the question while adding a comment on the sarastic comment.

I got a personal message from the asker, thanking me for my added info, but expressing their disappointment that I'm "egging xyz on with [their] weird humour".

I replied as follows:
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't mean to upset you with the
jokes on (....)
And sorry for the Autoreply you received from me, I've set it up so I
don't have to personally get back to translation requests, as I'm now
fulltime employed.
See you around on Proz
Nesrin

So far, so normal. That was a couple of days ago. A few minutes ago, I received this from them:

Hi Nesrin (seems to be a name of Turkish origin)

Just who are you employed with? I hope that it is not for translation
purposes into English or where you have to use English, because your phrase
" full-time employed" is incorrect. Correct: "I have a full-time job now."
But maybe in Turkey, they don't care how good your English is, just the fact
that you can understand it and answer customers in English in Turkey. I have
encountered this problem in (country name), having to rewrite texts translated by
supposedly bilingual (languages). Are you the daughter of a
"Gastarbeiter"? Such a person would understand German and be able to reply
in broken English.

(XYZ) - Proz.com member since 2007.

What the what the what the???????????
Venting over.

Now bearing in mind that I would usually spell fulltime as "full-time" with a dash (but this being an informal "friendly" letter, I didn't bother much), does writing "I am full-time employed" justify such an inflammatory letter?????????????
I just feel so incensed right now!

[Edited at 2010-10-13 21:43 GMT]
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
You have good reason to be incensed! Oct 13, 2010

Regardless of whether your writing was perfect English or not, the reply you received was uncalled for. Somebody was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. Why this person waited 2 days is a mystery.

If the reply had been posted on Kudoz or a forum it would surely have drawn the attention of the moderators.

Try to put it behind you, Nesrin, and have a lovely evening.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Write a support ticket... Oct 13, 2010

Nesrin wrote:

Hi all...

Anyway, a few days ago someone made a humorous sarcastic comment on a Kudoz question (I won't tell why, so as not to give it away), and I provided some added information to the question while adding a comment on the sarastic comment.

I got a personal message from the asker, thanking me for my added info, but expressing their disappointment that I'm "egging xyz on with [their] weird humour".

I replied as follows:
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't mean to upset you with the
jokes on (....)
And sorry for the Autoreply you received from me, I've set it up so I
don't have to personally get back to translation requests, as I'm now
fulltime employed.
See you around on Proz
Nesrin

So far, so normal. That was a couple of days ago. A few minutes ago, I received this from them:

Hi Nesrin (seems to be a name of Turkish origin)

Just who are you employed with? I hope that it is not for translation
purposes into English or where you have to use English, because your phrase
" full-time employed" is incorrect. Correct: "I have a full-time job now."
But maybe in Turkey, they don't care how good your English is, just the fact
that you can understand it and answer customers in English in Turkey. I have
encountered this problem in (country name), having to rewrite texts translated by
supposedly bilingual (languages). Are you the daughter of a
"Gastarbeiter"? Such a person would understand German and be able to reply
in broken English.

(XYZ) - Proz.com member since 2007.

Venting over.

Now bearing in mind that I would usually spell fulltime as "full-time" with a dash (but this being an informal "friendly" letter, I didn't bother much), does writing "I am full-time employed" justify such an inflammatory letter?????????????
I just feel so incensed right now!

[Edited at 2010-10-13 21:43 GMT]

There are a lot of scandals in his letter:

1- Humiliating your language and translation capabilities (Just who are you employed with? I hope that it is not for translation purposes into English or where you have to use English, because your phrase "full-time employed" is incorrect.)

2- Humiliating Turkish Regulations/Business System as they are not capable to select qualified people. (But maybe in Turkey, they don't care how good your English is, just the fact that you can understand it and answer customers in English in Turkey.)

3- Humiliating foreign nations and workers and especially yourself (Are you the daughter of a "Gastarbeiter"? Such a person would understand German and be able to reply in broken English.)

In general If to profile this person I can surely say that he is a racist who has problems with the people having different language and nationality than himself.

Otherwise I have no imagination what can force a simple person to stick on a small word like "full-time" and to send such mail to you.

Report it to site staff. It is 100% an insulting message which is against the rules of this site.

[Edited at 2010-10-13 22:13 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm... Oct 13, 2010

Nesrin wrote:
Venting over.

Hi Nesrin,
I'm also inclined to think "What the what the what the???????????".
Just that there's "Nowt so queer as folk" - thank goodness, not everyone's like that.

[Edited at 2010-10-14 20:52 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
German to English
Uncalled-for rudeness Oct 13, 2010

It's one thing to call into question the phrasing of a translation, but to pick on informal responses/e-mail demonstrates bad manners.

I can understand why you feel offended.

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:15
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Frustrated Oct 13, 2010

Hi Nesrin

Ignore it and don't waste your precious time and energy being upset. This person is clearly a very frustrated human being - (s)he has to live with her/himself, you can hit the delete button and forget about it

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
English to Arabic
You should have... Oct 13, 2010

Nesrin, If I were you, I would first of all reported him to the moderators as a rudemmer (rude + scammer).

[Edited at 2010-10-14 07:00 GMT]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your kind replies... Oct 13, 2010

Both on this thread and personally..
I actually did report to site staff... but I also sent a very calm reply to the person in question listing my qualifications, current job experience, professional memberships etc. Haven't boasted like that in a long time.

I'd still like to hear a second native speaker's opinion on "to be full-time employed". I promise I won't be offended if you confirm it's not right. As long as you do it nicely!
See more
Both on this thread and personally..
I actually did report to site staff... but I also sent a very calm reply to the person in question listing my qualifications, current job experience, professional memberships etc. Haven't boasted like that in a long time.

I'd still like to hear a second native speaker's opinion on "to be full-time employed". I promise I won't be offended if you confirm it's not right. As long as you do it nicely!

[Edited at 2010-10-13 23:14 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rant Oct 13, 2010

I would actually say working full-time as, although correct, in full-time employment is, to me, the wrong register for what you wanted to say. I am a native speaker.

Wow, Nesrin, that's way beyond rude. This is just plain vicious and mean, and definitely racist.

Don't let such nastiness upset you.

xx

Suzi

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
So why not also post it as a monolingual question? Oct 14, 2010

Hi Nesrin,

I was bcc'd similar insults (via private mails) here very recently (maybe even regarding the same kudoz question you are referring to - wouldn't surprise me).

It's often better to leave the moderators/staff out of it. Things can sort themselves out very nicely thank you without their intervention.

Some people are simply sad/blinkered/ignorant/blind. It's not your fault

... See more
Hi Nesrin,

I was bcc'd similar insults (via private mails) here very recently (maybe even regarding the same kudoz question you are referring to - wouldn't surprise me).

It's often better to leave the moderators/staff out of it. Things can sort themselves out very nicely thank you without their intervention.

Some people are simply sad/blinkered/ignorant/blind. It's not your fault

Cilian
Collapse

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
To hyphenate or not to hyphenate? Oct 14, 2010

A full-time (hyphenated) translator works full time (unhyphenated).

See helpful article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen
and scroll down to 'Compound modifiers'.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Bonkers Oct 14, 2010

Nesrin wrote:

I'd still like to hear a second native speaker's opinion on "to be full-time employed".

Assuming you mean employed by an employer under a full-time contract of employment, I would rather see "employed full-time" if we're keeping changes to a minimum.
If you're a freelancer working at 100% of your capacity, I'd rather not see the word "employed" in that context as it can be at best ambiguous. But hey-ho, I think the general idea is clear enough, and I'd stuggle to say definitively your construction was outright wrong.

Quite honestly though, there are some serious oddballs on here. You should see some of the unhinged lunacy I've been sent in personal messages. This is a profession (but not the only one) where unemployable sociopaths can pass relatively unnoticed, until they engage in pointless (and often ill-founded, in my experience) debate.

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In same situation myself (without the offensive email) Oct 14, 2010

Speaking as someone who's also employed full-time, I would accept any of:

- employed full-time
- working full-time
- in full-time employment
- in a full-time position

The hyphen is optional, but preferred.

Whoever wrote you that email is an arrogant [word edited out by myself after a rethink], plain and simple. (Moderator: it's an ancient Mesopotamian word borrowed from the original Sanskrit "twaet", meaning "one who does not have two br
... See more
Speaking as someone who's also employed full-time, I would accept any of:

- employed full-time
- working full-time
- in full-time employment
- in a full-time position

The hyphen is optional, but preferred.

Whoever wrote you that email is an arrogant [word edited out by myself after a rethink], plain and simple. (Moderator: it's an ancient Mesopotamian word borrowed from the original Sanskrit "twaet", meaning "one who does not have two brain cells to rub together"). [Edit: it doesn't mean that, either. I made that up.]

[Edited at 2010-10-14 07:12 GMT]
Collapse

Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Envy and spite Oct 14, 2010

I think this person has difficulties finding work himself, and is angry with you for succeeding where he failed. So, purely out of spite, he picks on a tiny 'mistake' (hardly a mistake in my opinion) in a very short post and tells himself: See! I'm better than her, anyway!
Very sad for him if he has to make himself feel better by putting others down. This is not your problem, but his!

Iris.

Sibylle de Schmidt
Sibylle de Schmidt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Narrow-minded Oct 14, 2010

Dear Nesrin,

there still are so many idiots around... they need an enemy to feel better and don't be confronted with themselves...

But you have a virtual world of support here on ProZ!

I think it a very good idea, that you reported that person.

Kind regards,

Sibylle

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The expression "to be full-time employed", plus rant at offensive mail from ProZ member

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »