Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Your country’s equivalent to a Stag Party?
Thread poster: Alistair Gale
Alistair Gale
Alistair Gale
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Spanish to English
Jan 9, 2013

Having recently been invited to my brother’s Stag Party [party in honour of a man who is getting married], it got me thinking:

What are the equivalents in other countries? Are they as odd as ‘stag’ or indeed ‘hen’ [the female equivalent]?

I’d love to hear, so please do let me know, giving me an English back translation.

OlivierParrot
OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:55
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Hen Party? Jan 10, 2013

I didn't know that, I thought it was just a girl-only party.
Something like marriage implies children implies eggs and roosting? Well.

Quite easy in French: enterrement de vie de garçon/de jeune fille.
Boy's/young girl's life funeral.
Face it, your old self is dead, better bury it, it's never coming back!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spain Jan 10, 2013

This is called a "despedida de soltero/soltera" in Spain. It means "single man's/woman's farewell".

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
USA Jan 10, 2013

Here we celebrate with a Bachelor (Bachelorette) party.

I actually didn't have one when I got married, but that's because I haven't been living here for very long and don't have any other friends/family members. The sad life of a freelancer haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_party

Alessandra Maugeri
Alessandra Maugeri  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
In Italian Jan 10, 2013

It's "addio al celibato" (for men) or "addio al nubilato" (for women) - meaning farewell to singleship!

danya
danya
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
мальчишник in Russian Jan 10, 2013

malchishnik))

meaning literally "a gathering of lads/boys"

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Bosnia (momačko veče) Jan 10, 2013

In Bosnia it is called "momačko veče"; well back-translation: "momak" is generally a lad, or a (young) man, but momak is also a bachelor. So it'd be "Bachelor Party", since it is kind of the last evening out for the groom as a bachelor. The other word "veče" is literally "evening out".

No hens and stags mentioning. Also no strippers, it's not a tradition lol

[Edited at 2013-01-10 08:40 GMT]

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In German Jan 10, 2013

it is called a Junggesellenabschied(sparty).

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
yep Jan 10, 2013

Alessandra Maugeri wrote:

It's "addio al celibato" (for men) or "addio al nubilato" (for women) - meaning farewell to singleship!

and unspeakably sad occasions they are, with all the tawdriness, the must-have raucous laughter and all the related paraphernalia

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
In Germany maybe Gudrun is right Jan 10, 2013

but in Austria it's a Polterabend. And I'm pretty sure there is anotehr one for the women but I'll have to ask around.

Steve Derry
Steve Derry  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
David... Jan 10, 2013

… when I lived in Hamburg many years ago, it was a 'Polterabend' too, attended by both the males and females. The name came from the tradition of taking a porcelain item (ranging from a cup to a toilet) and smashing it to bring luck to the 'happy' couple.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
David and Derrio, Jan 10, 2013

yes, Polterabend is for the couple in Germany, whereas Junggesellenabschied is for the future husband.

Junggesellinnenabschied (for the future wife) exists. The term - it seems to me - is not as usual yet as Junggesellenabschied.

Gudrun

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What's in a name Jan 10, 2013

I think the asker may have been more interested in knowing what goes on at the different types of ritual in the different countries or cultures. For example, in the Spanish and UK ones I've attended, there is usually a bit of nonsense involving too much alcoholic drink and/or sexual behaviour. Then there are some who favour playing a prank on the groom-to-be, such as tying them to a lampost naked or even drugging them and putting them on a train to somewhere far away (the subject of a film I saw... See more
I think the asker may have been more interested in knowing what goes on at the different types of ritual in the different countries or cultures. For example, in the Spanish and UK ones I've attended, there is usually a bit of nonsense involving too much alcoholic drink and/or sexual behaviour. Then there are some who favour playing a prank on the groom-to-be, such as tying them to a lampost naked or even drugging them and putting them on a train to somewhere far away (the subject of a film I saw once). Then you mave Hollywood movies like the hangover...Collapse

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:55
English to Spanish
Argentina Jan 10, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This is called a "despedida de soltero/soltera" in Spain. It means "single man's/woman's farewell".

It's the same word in Argentina.

It is usually a fancy dress party, with only girls or only boys, where the bride gets small and useful presents (gadgets, like corkscrew, tin opener, feather duster, broom, tea strainer). Sometimes a "Tupper-sex" meeting, where hot items are promoted and sold-bought and perhaps a streeper show.

I guess boys' farewell parties are abit wilder, with the groom's friends shaving the groom, for a start...

My two cents.
mm

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Portugal Jan 10, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Same as in Spain, except spelt very slightly differently: despedida de solteiro/solteira.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your country’s equivalent to a Stag Party?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »