Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What can't you live with/without in your office?
Thread poster: Clare Barnes
Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:05
German to Italian
+ ...
a poster May 29, 2005

Clare Barnes wrote:

Does anyone have inspiring pictures or colour schemes that help your concentration?

A large poster of Homer Simpson on his couch, with a beer in one hand and the remote control in the other This always reminds me that, in spite of my efforts, it's a long way to turn into a REAL couch potato

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:05
English to French
+ ...
Space! May 30, 2005

I need a lot of space to spread my references, dictionaries... and my legs. I sit on the floor to work so I have a choice of positions, as long as I can see the monitor.

I would go crazy if I had too many things around me, so empty space is necessary, lots of it.

pkb (X)
pkb (X)

Local time: 21:05
French to English
At least one dog May 30, 2005

Martine Etienne wrote: (chihuahua)... sleeping next to me, chewing my pens, my fingers, walking on my keyboard, barking at everything..

Martine is almost right. I can't work without at least one dog under the desk.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:05
chez moi... May 30, 2005

Homer's beer song is up on my wall (has been in every office I have ever worked in since leaving college), a print-out of a "Bored at work? Why not hold a meeting" mail, radio, coffee pot, oil burner, air freshener, hand cream... and all the usual crap.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 16:05
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

What's the beer song? May 30, 2005

Two of you have mentioned Homer Simpson as an office buddy What does thast say about us?

My answer would have been 'an office' as I've been relegated to the kitchen table whilst my own office is under renovation (nearly a year now, as so many other things had to be done first)

... See more
Two of you have mentioned Homer Simpson as an office buddy What does thast say about us?

My answer would have been 'an office' as I've been relegated to the kitchen table whilst my own office is under renovation (nearly a year now, as so many other things had to be done first)

Nancy
Collapse

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
a dog under the desk May 30, 2005

Philip BOYDEN wrote:

Martine Etienne wrote: (chihuahua)... sleeping next to me, chewing my pens, my fingers, walking on my keyboard, barking at everything..

Martine is almost right. I can't work without at least one dog under the desk.

Me too:) A girl-Scottie (Aberdeen terrier), either sleeping under my desk when I'm there or lying on the couch next to me and my laptop. Or turning the pages of my dictionaries.

Apart from that, I have a lots of post-its on my wall.
Although I'm living in the centre of Zagreb, and there's a traffic jam around every single day, my window overlooks a building's garden/park, so it's peace and quiet (except for the birds:)).
A cup of caffee/tea is a part of the scenery, too:)

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Homer S May 30, 2005

I guess I'm going to have to get Homer in somehow when I redecorate... and out with the empty coffee cups, cardboard boxes, disassembled computer (that's my spare one Peter!), dust balls and paper recycling that are threatening to take over the remaining floor space.

I have to have my back to the window too, otherwise I get too involved watching the blackcurrants growing to do any work. And a radiator - it's still COLD this far up north.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
French to English
Can't live without May 30, 2005

These are all little things, but without them I might lose my sense of humor.

- footstool
- ceiling fan
- ergonomic mouse (Marble Mouse by Logitech)
- Audubon prints and maps on the wall
- various Hindu godhead finger puppets lined up atop the monitor
- 32-oz glass of icewater

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No joke! May 31, 2005

Stephanie Mitchel wrote:

- various Hindu godhead finger puppets lined up atop the monitor

Namaste! This computer's name is Ganesh, it's CRT has a statuette of him blessing me from atop, and I greet it (statue and computer) every morning after ablutions Supposedly the brainiest of the Hindu deities, the patron of scholars and the literati, and the genie of accounting departments, I can't help thanking him for the fact that I've never suffered a major crash, the business is financially in good shape, and there's still a lot of Mahabharata to do (which supposedly he wrote).

For the rest, my equipment is pretty standard, although plants are indispensable to cheer me up.

Diane Grosklaus Whitty
Diane Grosklaus Whitty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:05
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
Can't live without Dec 21, 2010

...a wave keyboard (I take one with my laptop when I travel abroad)
...a good ergonomic desk chair
...my Hemisync concentration CD
...a typing stand (I like to read the original on paper as I go through the translation)
...lots of natural light
...my "360-degree" posters of Rio (blue blue blue)
...my time sheets, where I record how much time I spend at each type of task (translating itself, administrative work, OPI interpreting, CE studies, and, ah yes, takin
... See more
...a wave keyboard (I take one with my laptop when I travel abroad)
...a good ergonomic desk chair
...my Hemisync concentration CD
...a typing stand (I like to read the original on paper as I go through the translation)
...lots of natural light
...my "360-degree" posters of Rio (blue blue blue)
...my time sheets, where I record how much time I spend at each type of task (translating itself, administrative work, OPI interpreting, CE studies, and, ah yes, taking care of computer glitches--mostly, recording my time keeps me on track and on task)

Nice idea, sharing our thoughts on our working environments. So much the same. I'd like to see more actual pictures posted.

Cheers to all!
Collapse

Diane Grosklaus Whitty
Diane Grosklaus Whitty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:05
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
PS Not mentioned but noted Dec 21, 2010

I was scrolling through photos of offices posted in two sections and I noticed something many of us have in common: a need for lots of natural lighting and, along with it, pleasant, restful views.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can't you live with/without in your office?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »