Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What can't you live with/without in your office?
Thread poster: Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2005

I'm currently psyching myself up to redecorate my office (which is at home). Aside from the essentials (computer, printer, reference books...) what do you have in your office/workspace? Does anyone have inspiring pictures or colour schemes that help your concentration?

I must have green plants, smelly candles and a door that closes (to keep my son and his hordes of friends on the other side of it). The cat comes into the office anyway - I don't get a choice in that.

[Edited
... See more
I'm currently psyching myself up to redecorate my office (which is at home). Aside from the essentials (computer, printer, reference books...) what do you have in your office/workspace? Does anyone have inspiring pictures or colour schemes that help your concentration?

I must have green plants, smelly candles and a door that closes (to keep my son and his hordes of friends on the other side of it). The cat comes into the office anyway - I don't get a choice in that.

[Edited at 2005-05-28 18:03]
Collapse

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Arabic
+ ...
I have ... May 28, 2005

I have a stationary bike with loads of dust on it! a pair of dumbells which I rarely use! an Ab machine to hang the clothes on and lots of books on the floor! that's it! nothing inspiring though, no pictures on the wall, no plants nothing nada niente wala ishi!

Mariateresa Varbaro
Mariateresa Varbaro  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
gym equipment for hanging clothes? So do I! May 28, 2005

My spin bike is up to the same task as your ab machine! My brother blames me so much... he's the athlete of the family. But books... ouch!... anywhere, can't put them away even. Actually I would like to be surrounded by pastel colours, plants, a good view...

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Office paraphernalia May 28, 2005

Dumbells too! as an ornament and a living memento that I ought to exercise more than my fingers. My piano, which is regularly dusted but serves as a depository of too many framed photos. Piles of magazines and books on the floor too, as well as a tray where I throw the hundreds of cables needed for cameras, cell phones, laptop, earphones, webcam etc. My phone/fax, a small light on the side of the monitor, three huge piles of filed and unfiled papers and the all in one scanner/printer which ruin... See more
Dumbells too! as an ornament and a living memento that I ought to exercise more than my fingers. My piano, which is regularly dusted but serves as a depository of too many framed photos. Piles of magazines and books on the floor too, as well as a tray where I throw the hundreds of cables needed for cameras, cell phones, laptop, earphones, webcam etc. My phone/fax, a small light on the side of the monitor, three huge piles of filed and unfiled papers and the all in one scanner/printer which ruin my 19th century leather topped oak desk. Immediately accessible, some modern shelving with my ten dictionaries at hand, plus hundreds of English books above and below, ranging from The cat in the hat to Henry Miller.
I dream of a more functional place, but am too sentimental to do away with my "antiques". The result is a mess as my working tools ruin the look of that room which used to be very nice when my computer was in a spare bedroom, now devoted to holidaying grandchildren. Sigh...
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
A standby computer May 28, 2005

[quote]Clare Barnes wrote:
Aside from the essentials (computer, printer, reference books...)

What? Only one computer? What happens when it fails? (When, not if). A thoroughly unromantic answer, but your must-haves surely should include a spare computer or two.

[Edited at 2005-05-28 21:50]

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:01
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Music May 28, 2005

I couldn't work without my mp3s, my CD's or the radio!

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
I couldn't live without music or books May 29, 2005

My office, which is also my room (I know, it's not very good according to Feng Shui laws...) is full of papers (as I am also a teacher), CDs, books, dictionaries and artefacts I got on my trips. I couldn't live without music and books, that's for sure! TV isn't a must, especially in Canada or the US, considerong the non-sense shows. Internet is fun but can get annoying at times. Of course, it's very useful, but I receive so much junk mails sometimes that I wish I lived on an island, even though ... See more
My office, which is also my room (I know, it's not very good according to Feng Shui laws...) is full of papers (as I am also a teacher), CDs, books, dictionaries and artefacts I got on my trips. I couldn't live without music and books, that's for sure! TV isn't a must, especially in Canada or the US, considerong the non-sense shows. Internet is fun but can get annoying at times. Of course, it's very useful, but I receive so much junk mails sometimes that I wish I lived on an island, even though I would need electricity to listen to music!Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only the essentials May 29, 2005

Table, chair, bookshelf and the computer eauipment. A carpet under my feet. Chair must be wood, with four legs and straight back. I have a rowing machine and dumbells in the flat, but I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, its only 500 m away and town-owned, cheap but good.
Paper basket is important too.

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Office stuff May 29, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Paper basket is important too.

Ashamed to say, got one of these just recently

I also have an old cork board to which I tend to pin some inspirational quotes to help me through the day... The last one said "It's not okay to go along just to get along." (have no idea who said it...)

Have a comfortable office!

Seadeta

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
Extremely important... May 29, 2005

A bed, and a TV set (additionally to the whole stuff aforementioned).
)
Tadzio.

Marina Khonina
Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:01
Russian to English
+ ...
Things I can't live without May 29, 2005

In addition to my desk/laptop/books and files, I have an enormous plant sitting right behind the computer screen, a lovely cast iron chair (that I actually sit on while working), incense, and a coffee press and cups permanently residing on my desk. Also, I always need a beautiful view to admire when I take breaks from work and a couple of cafes nearby where I can work when sitting alone at my desk gets too intolerable.

... See more
In addition to my desk/laptop/books and files, I have an enormous plant sitting right behind the computer screen, a lovely cast iron chair (that I actually sit on while working), incense, and a coffee press and cups permanently residing on my desk. Also, I always need a beautiful view to admire when I take breaks from work and a couple of cafes nearby where I can work when sitting alone at my desk gets too intolerable.

I'm a bit of a nomad, so I try to live with as few things as possible. This way I don't have to deal with heavy suitcases and boxes every time I move. For my printing, scanning and copying needs I use the Internet cafe next door.

However, I must admit that I do like to surround myself with beautiful objects. After I moved to this city a few months ago, I've been inevitably drawn to antique shops and such.
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:01
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Tea maker May 29, 2005

I can't live without a constant supply of tea!! so I have tea maker machine right next to my desk......

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:01
English to German
+ ...
An ashtray May 29, 2005

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
a chihuahua named kimy May 29, 2005

sleeping next to me, chewing my pens, my fingers, walking on my keyboard, barking at everything.. and full of pictures from my daughters at all ages, lots of posters representing cats, horses, books on overloaded shelves, a coffee maker...all the little things my daughters have made at school for mothers'day...

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:01
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lots of stationery. May 29, 2005

I have an unhealthy obsession with stationery, so my desk has all sorts of clips and note pads and pens on it, all different colours and shapes and sizes. Apart from that, nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh, except a very large box for paper to take for recycling!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can't you live with/without in your office?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »