Subtitling software - suggestions needed
Thread poster: FedericaPalm (X)
Lola Mezquita Sánchez
Lola Mezquita Sánchez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spain and UK Nov 9, 2011

Ion, do you know if there is any subtitling software compatible in Spain and UK?
Anyone?
Thank you

Ion Zubizarreta
Ion Zubizarreta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nowadays compatibility issues Nov 10, 2011

Nowadays compatibility issues have more to do with the subtitling software used by the different subtitling companies than with where these companies are located. In principle, you could work with programs such as Wincaps, Swift Create or Subtitle Workshop with companies from either Spain or the UK.

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 21:55
English to French
So tired of subtitle workshop Nov 14, 2011

I am so tired of translators who think they can deliver quality subtitles with Subtitle Workshop. It doesn't allow to create accurate timing/spotting.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A story for Faustine Nov 14, 2011

Faustine Roux wrote:
I am so tired of translators who think they can deliver quality subtitles with Subtitle Workshop. It doesn't allow to create accurate timing/spotting.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil. In 1969, Ford launched a car based on a Renault design that was the first modern front-wheel drive car made here. It soon became known for quickly wearing the front tires on the inside, leaving their treads new on the outside. There was a guy named Mario, who had a wheel alignment/suspension shop. Any such car that went through an alignment at his shop wore the front tires evenly afterwards. I won't get into technical details here, but the reason is pretty obvious to any layperson, when explained with gestures. Yet all the Ford engineers missed it, they were aligning these cars as if they had rear wheel drive, like all others at that time.

Now my point is that a genius as that Mario had a pretty shabby alignment equipment, though he kept it calibrated to the dot. When I questioned him about it, he explained: "That machine just measures accurately all I need to know. I am the one who must know if that is correct or not, and if it's not, I am to decide what, where and how much has to be done about it.

Likewise, Subtitle Workshop just shows me the video and the time, gives me the chance to select when each subtitle should go on and off, and helps me create a text with parameters file that my subtitling software can use. I've been using Subtitle Workshop to do it since 2004, and haven't felt the need for anything better.

You may see some of the results at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/videos.html . The first two video clips have been subtitled using SW for spotting; you have to click on the "theaters" to the right of each one to watch it. The next three are dubbed, and the two at the end, SW again, are directly from YouTube, where the end-client placed them. Please note that I have significantly downgraded the A/V quality to put them there to spare the server.

So, if you are unhappy with the spotting quality you get from Subtitle Workshop users, change the operator(s); most likely they won't perform any better with expensive software if they don't know how it should be done.

File compatibility is a completely different issue. If the end-client's equipment/software is not compatible with the files generated by ANY software, it will be useles.

Diana Battaglio
Diana Battaglio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Subtitling software Feb 29, 2012

Totally agree with Ion, kmtext and Faustine.

sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
Local time: 16:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blame the operator Apr 22, 2012

I totally agree with José Henrique. If you give a Mercedes to a person who can't drive the crash won't be responsible of Mercedes

BeaDeer (X)
BeaDeer (X)  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Pay as you go Apr 23, 2012

http://www.titlevision.com/prices.htm

I have worked with FAB, Cavena and WinCaps; one of the customers has provided me with the tool that would otherwise have cost me an arm and a leg, and I also work with a program (Panda, still in beta) that costs just one tenth of, say, WinCaps but does just as good a job with EBU *.stl files. Once you learn to use one of the professional subtitling
... See more
http://www.titlevision.com/prices.htm

I have worked with FAB, Cavena and WinCaps; one of the customers has provided me with the tool that would otherwise have cost me an arm and a leg, and I also work with a program (Panda, still in beta) that costs just one tenth of, say, WinCaps but does just as good a job with EBU *.stl files. Once you learn to use one of the professional subtitling tools, mastering any other tool is a breeze, that's my opinion. And Titlevision is as good as any other of "them pro tools", so renting by the hour could be a good initial investment in learning a new skill.

[Edited at 2012-04-23 19:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mac OS X subtitling software compatible with Spot for windows? Sep 7, 2012

Hi,

I recently started a workshop in translation/subtitling from English to Portuguese. In the company that I am taking this workshop in I was quite dismayed to hear that I wouldn't be able to use my Apple Macintosh to work on subtitles since the company uses Spot which is only available for windows and which costs close to €2000!

The question I would like to ask is the following: Is there a freeware or cheaper subtitling program that I can use under Mac OS X which ca
... See more
Hi,

I recently started a workshop in translation/subtitling from English to Portuguese. In the company that I am taking this workshop in I was quite dismayed to hear that I wouldn't be able to use my Apple Macintosh to work on subtitles since the company uses Spot which is only available for windows and which costs close to €2000!

The question I would like to ask is the following: Is there a freeware or cheaper subtitling program that I can use under Mac OS X which can export .pac files that could then be imported to Spot? At this point it is not feasible for me to invest in a software program and a windows computer on account of a possibility of getting some work in the area. At the same time I can't help but feel frustrated that I may not get work in subtitling because I can't afford the Spot software and another computer.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 20:55 GMT]
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 22:55
English to Italian
+ ...
I think you refer to .pac files? Sep 7, 2012

Double check the format they are requesting. If it's a pac, there is in fact a cheaper professional tool for Mac you can use. It's called Annotation Edit, I use it all the time even though my clients use tools for Windows. No compatibility issue so far. It should be under 300 euros and you can buy it here www.zeitanker.com. It handles all of the most popular subtitle formats.

Good luck with your su
... See more
Double check the format they are requesting. If it's a pac, there is in fact a cheaper professional tool for Mac you can use. It's called Annotation Edit, I use it all the time even though my clients use tools for Windows. No compatibility issue so far. It should be under 300 euros and you can buy it here www.zeitanker.com. It handles all of the most popular subtitle formats.

Good luck with your subtitling jobs.

Monica
Collapse

Yes, .pac files. Sep 7, 2012

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Good luck with your subtitling jobs.

Monica

Thanks for the correction. It is indeed .pac files. But I checked the webpage you mentioned and I can't find any reference to this type of file. At least it's a much more affordable program. Maybe someone else will post a relevant reply. Thanks again.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
As I said Sep 8, 2012

I use the software and handle .pac files without issues. Maybe you can just contact the manufacturer before purchasing. Here is a list of the formats any way: http://www.zeitanker.com/content/tools/zeitanker_tools/annotation_edit__file_formats

Ciao

[Edited at 2012-09-08 07:47 GMT]

Rafael López Sánchez
Rafael López Sánchez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aegisub Apr 29, 2015

Hello everyone,

I am a freelance audiovisual translator and the co-founder of Traduversia, an e-learning site for translators (www.traduversia.com). Recently, we have created an online course on how to use Aegisub. My mother tongue is Spanish, so the course is in that language. Anyway, I hope you find it useful and interesting.

Link: <
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am a freelance audiovisual translator and the co-founder of Traduversia, an e-learning site for translators (www.traduversia.com). Recently, we have created an online course on how to use Aegisub. My mother tongue is Spanish, so the course is in that language. Anyway, I hope you find it useful and interesting.

Link: http://traduversia.com/curso/subtitulacion-con-aegisub/
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:55
French to Spanish
+ ...
Really? May 8, 2015

Faustine Roux wrote:

Well... that's just your opinion.
I do very, but very accurate timing/spotting with it, and very easily. Must know how, of course. Maybe you don't.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling software - suggestions needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »